Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk sheds.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk sheds.

Does anyone on here shed hunt for elk sheds? I thought it'd be cool to buy some(if we had elk in TN I'd try to find some but we don't) so I looked on ebay and noticed that they are quite valuable. I probably won't spend the money on em but was wondering if anyone on here finds and sells them...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

It is probably illegal in most places to sell them, not sure though. would want to find out first to be certain.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I would have to say that is the dumbest law ever lol

I can only see it being used to stop poachers from killing animals to sell them.

I'm pretty sure it's legal to sell deer sheds in TN though.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

You can sell antlers in most places I know about but I believe there are rules in some places for collecting them
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Spike

Its Illegal to pick up skulls in some states.As far as sheds there are usually no rules.Yes I go look for elk horns.But I have a hard time parting with them.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Wyoming put in some rules on shed hunting a couple years back relating to wildlife harrassment laws because there were folks chasing the elk around in late winter hoping that they would drop antlers as a result. (i.e. chase them so they had to jump a fence and then the antler would drop).

Not 100% sure on the details though.

Almost all states have rules on picking up skulls.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

you have elk in TN:

http://www.reelfoot.com/tennessee_elk_june02.htm

so do PA KY WV and prob NY
Old 01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
you have elk in TN:

http://www.reelfoot.com/tennessee_elk_june02.htm

so do PA KY WV and prob NY
They aren't common and are restricted to a certain area. It even said something about it on the site you posted.

6. How large an area is the Tennessee elk restoration zone?
The elk restoration project calls for elk to be released in a 670,000 acre restoration zone located in Scott, Morgan, Campbell, Anderson and Claiborne counties, with the center of the zone being the Royal Blue Wildlife Management Area. Elk that wander outside of the restoration zone will be captured and moved back into the restoration zone if possible or may be destroyed if capture is not possible.

7. Why remove elk that wander out of the restoration zone?
Elk have the potential to cause crop and property damage if they occur in areas that have large amounts of row crops and/or have large numbers of people. The restoration zone was selected because it contains few farm crops and few people and has habitat that is suitable for supporting an elk herd. Areas outside of the zone may be incompatible to both people and elk so it is imperative that elk remain in the restoration zone.