Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Carrying bow on horseback. >

Carrying bow on horseback.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Carrying bow on horseback.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Carrying bow on horseback.

Does anyone carry a bow while riding horseback. If so, what type of bow sling works best for this?
Old 07-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carrying bow on horseback.

Bows & Horses do not mix. There is just too many things that cango wrong. The only way I will carry a bow on a horse is in a good solid hard case. A hard side bow case makes a good top pack.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve seen them selling a bow scabbard in Cabela' s befor,dose it work I don' t know.I bought one of those catpaks a few years ago and robbed a few pices from an old pack frame and made me pack frame on a pack to carry mine on horse back and leave my hands free for riding.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:47 PM

BobCo, I was going to start a thread with the same question. I too have looked at the cabelas scabbard and it looks like it is right in the way of your feet...there has to be a better way doesn' t there?
Old 07-22-2003, 07:05 PM

The outfitter I went with New Mexico made us use a bow sling as a opposed to a scabbord.His feeling was if the horse fell or fliipped (purposely or not) that the parts of the bow or arrows wouldn' t cut the horse.He said it happened before!!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

PA/KS same here. Our outfitter in Colorado also wants us to use a bowsling. we are only allowed to pack 70 pounds of gear in one duffle for the trip. Thats excluding your bow.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:22 PM

BobCo,I just used a sling.You have to be careful going under trees and through the brush.The horses will just plow through without a care in the world.Do yourself a favor and shoot your bow when you get to camp.My brother in law found out the hard way when he missed two trophy sized 6x6' s.His string loop moved on the horseback trip in.Best of luck!
Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 PM

Bobco the scabbard from cabelas is made out of nylon and that is the main reason outfitters don' t want scabbards nylon builds heat against a horse leather works great and there are plenty of saddle makers that offer good scabbards I would not want to sling my bow due to what some have already said that they could very easily hook up on a tree limb and you could find yourself afoot pretty quick. Talk to your outfitter and ask him if a good leather scabbard would work if so there is an outfit in gridley California that makes a very nice one that i have used for many seasons with no problems against the horse or the bow. good luck
Old 08-07-2003, 12:26 PM

Blacks Creek Guide Gear out of Idaho makes a great day pack with a fold out scabbard that sits at an angle for riding on horses or ATVs. i own one of these packs and they are mighty nice. very comfortable and they are very well put together.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:30 PM

BobCo,
I posed the same question on another forum and someone said that they just tie their soft bow case on. I did some work with mine this afternoon and so far, it looks like it will work well.
It' s pretty small and held on secure with the straps behind the cantle, that I' ve run through the handles on the case. The front is tied on with the front straps as well as my rope holder. I' ve folded over the excess of the case with some twine because my bow is much shorter than the case, and that makes it very compact. The only concern I have, is being able to get out of the saddle quick if the need arises. Because the case hangs off the saddle, and over your leg, there is a potential for getting hung-up, but I don' t consider it a significant hazard by any means. You leg will also keep the case away from the side of the horse.
Now, saying all this, I' ve not had it strapped on to my gelding yet. I will be doing that in two weeks time and will let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Carrying bow on horseback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.