Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Mulies Questions???? >

Colorado Mulies Questions????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Mulies Questions????

Old 11-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Spike

Default Colorado Mulies Questions????

Alright my kid brother and I have picked CO to attempt a self guided muley hunt. I have a few questions. We are both avid archery hunters but we are hoping to get the guns out. I am curious if muzzle loader is better than rifle and if not what are the difference between all of the rifle seasons. We would like to hunt hard for a full week and I see that some of the seasons are not that long. If we are picked for a rifle season is that the only season that we can hunt in, as far as 1st 2nd 3rd? Also we are looking to be far from the crowds. we both are strong hikers and would be looking for some back country would anybody be willing to narrow down the unit search a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dennis
Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

"Better" is up to you. Keep in mind that all the modern improvements to muzzleloaders, like sabot bullets, pelletized powder, 209 primer ignition, etc., are illegal in Colorado. At least they're illegal during the muzzleloader season -- you can use them during the regular rifle season.

Muzzleloaders in muzzleloader seasons must use loose loose powder with a patch and round ball. I don't remember about scopes, but I *think* they're illegal in that season, too.

However, since moving to Colorado I've only hunted modern firearms, so check the law first! Don't take my word for it. I've been wrong before!

So is that "better?" That's up to you.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

All the different rifle seasons are because you get a license for ONE of those seasons. So many people hunt in Colorado they can't have everyone out there at the same time. In certain places you'll think you're at a shooting range with an orange dress code. You can only hunt during the season you get a license for.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Really U have to use a round ball??? at least here in Washington U can use a lead bullet.....everything else is the same!!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by finnbear
Really U have to use a round ball??? at least here in Washington U can use a lead bullet.....everything else is the same!!
They might allow conicals, I'm not sure. I do know, however, that sabots are definitely out!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

You cannot use pelletized powder, sabots, or scopes during muzzle loader season in CO.
You can use whatever kind of loose powder your prefer, fiber optic sights, 209 primers, conicals and even Powerbelts if you so choose.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
You cannot use pelletized powder, sabots, or scopes during muzzle loader season in CO.
You can use whatever kind of loose powder your prefer, fiber optic sights, 209 primers, conicals and even Powerbelts if you so choose.
Again, this applies during muzzleloader season. You can use a muzzleloader with or without the modern implements during regular rifle seasons.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mac266
"Better" is up to you. Keep in mind that all the modern improvements to muzzleloaders, like sabot bullets, pelletized powder, 209 primer ignition, etc., are illegal in Colorado. At least they're illegal during the muzzleloader season -- you can use them during the regular rifle season.

Muzzleloaders in muzzleloader seasons must use loose loose powder with a patch and round ball. I don't remember about scopes, but I *think* they're illegal in that season, too.

However, since moving to Colorado I've only hunted modern firearms, so check the law first! Don't take my word for it. I've been wrong before!

So is that "better?" That's up to you.
You may want to re-read the regs on muzzleloaders. 209 primers are LEGAL, and you can use any bullet you want as long as the length is not more then twice the diameter. Scopes, pellet powder, and sabot are not allowed during muzzleloader season but you can use them in a muzzleloader during rifle season with a rifle tag.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Spike

yes inlines are legal and so are 209 primers. .40 to .50cals bullets must be 170 grains or bigger they cannot be loaded from the breech and must have iron sights sabots are PROHIBITED smokless powder is prohibited.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your choices are mainly: archery, muzzleloader, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rifle.

If you want a high country or wilderness hunt, archery or muzzleloader is the way to go. The other seasons may have snow. 4th season is typically the hardest to draw (takes most points) because they are rutting then, and the big boys will be more vulnerable. 2nd season is typically one of the easier to draw because deer are usually still scattered and bucks are still off by themselves and harder to find. However, this year, 2nd season got lots of snow and brought them down out of the high country, so that was the season to be there. But that is not the norm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.