Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Disappointing bear hunt.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Spike

Default Disappointing bear hunt.

Yesterday as I was coming out of stand and heading to the car when I spotted a very large black bear (most likely the reason I sat for 5 hours seeing nothing but squirrels.) I was able to stalk within 35 yards of it. I pulled my bow up estimated the yardage at 40 and let the arrow go. This shot was made right at sunset (I left the stand early b/c I haven't seen anything all day.) and my yardage was a little off. I hit him higher in the back but right behind the shoulder. I had good blood to a point then we decided to back out when it started to thin out and give him overnight to die.

This morning we go out and pick up the blood trail and manage to pin him down to this one area. As we combed the area the bear spooked and ran up the hill out of sight. We tried to track him throughout the thick brush but the blood dried up (this was before we spooked him.) When we spooked him there was no blood where we saw him cross either. We found 2 beds from where he had laid down. The first had tons of blood where he tore apart the tree next to it and rubbed his body on. In the 2nd bed there was much less blood but 2 spots on either side of the bed which look like it could have been from my arrow holes.

Now we are at a loss and have no idea what to do next. I was expecting to see this bear dead when we came back the next morning. It was about 15 hours between the time I shot and when we started looking the next morning.

We could not find my arrow but I watched it disappear into the side of the bear. He was also bleeding out both sides of his body.

My question is: Will he be back and will he live? This bear was easily 300-400lbs. maybe larger.

Thanks,
Chas

Sorry for the book.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

It might die of infection but I don't think that is usually the case. I always believed if an animal doesn't die in an hour or so there is no way you hit the vitals. It most likely will live.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Spike

Well I have this thursday off from work so I hope I see it sometime between then and this coming sunday. It was a beautiful bear and like I said very large. We saw it running like it wasn't shot. I mean the odds of it being a different bear would be slim.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Although it's legal, I can't see bow hunting bear. Especially a big one.

Hunters quible over effective bear calibers.....
Old 11-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Everything I've hit with an arrow has a hole drilled through it. Almost always more damage than when hit with one of my rifles. Just saying.

Good luck finding the bear, My guess is he'll be alright.
-Jake
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear about that. Goodluck finding it.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Spike

The bear will likely die. First, a high hit means the body cavity will fill with blood, meaning the blood trail will be sparse. Second, it is probably a partial (one) lung hit. We all know what that means. Third, the underhair of bears is not unlike cotton, it will soak up significant amounts of blood. Bears are tough and leave little blood in their trails.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the blur
Although it's legal, I can't see bow hunting bear. Especially a big one.

Hunters quible over effective bear calibers.....

Hunting with bow is just as effective as gun. its all in shot placement. we go archery bear hunting every year. we went 4 for 4 this year with my 68 year old father getting one with his bow. my 50 year old mother getting one with a bow and my brother and i both getting one.

archery is very deadly.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Spike

She's a hit and miss, had some bow hunters up this year and they each shot a big bear with bows. Tracked the next day for both bears came bach with nothing.
The following week an other bow hunter got one of the two. These animals are strong but i never seen the other big bear. Although we had many hits on one of baits, never pick up a large paw print.
I find 40 yards with a bow is a long shot.

Denis
Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going with a non vitals hit and he is still out there going strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.