Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Size of a mule deer?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pygmy
Geeze... I really don't know... Most mulies that I have seen were about the size of the whitetails I have seen here in NY.. A big buck might dress out 200 lb or so... The EARS are a lot wider, as are the the racks, but the size of the deer's body isn't a whole lot different..
Around here, Mulies are alot bigger bodied than whitetail. I have never seen a mulie and a whitetail up close next to eachother but in the field it is very easy to see the difference.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pygmy
Geeze, Mac, you must have some pretty small whitetails there in Colorado..

So.... Where I come from, whitetail bucks average 150 to 200 pounds live weight... So if Colorado whitetails are appx the same size as NY whitetails, according to your estimate, ( mule deer are 1.5 to 2 times bigger) Colorado mule deer bucks would average from 225 to 400 pounds....

Are you sure you're not talking about cow elk..??...

I've only hunted out west 7 or 8 times, but the mule deer I have seen in New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado have been nowhere near that big.. Maybe I've only seen small ones...
Dude...I can tell the difference between deer and elk.

I grew up in the midwest where there were no mule deer, only white tails. Those were much bigger than the white tails in Colorado.

I've seen Colorado mule deer get up to 275 pounds, though. I've heard claims of 350 but never seen it for myself.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, Mac... I really did mean literally that you didn't know a deer from an elk.... I was being a little facetious... Hope you're not offended... My apologies...