Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Hoochie mama elk call.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs down Hoochie mama elk call.

I gave this call a try a couple nights ago while taking a client on a elk hunt because I have heard alot about it and it seems pretty popular. We had bulls all around us bugling, and usually I have no problem calling them into range but I have never been so dissappointed in a call. It sounds like a magpie! You cant control the pitch or lenght of the sound and it is not very loud at all. I have never felt so helpless than I did when trying to call in bulls with that stupid call. I think the reason it must be popular is because it is so easy to use and some hunters are to lazy to practice with a mouth call. I was suprised when I found out that primos makes the call, their calls usually seem to be pretty good, but this one sucks. Have any of you guys used this call? What did you think?
I prefer my Primos "Imaka da bullcrazy" mouth call.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Spike

Maybe you had a lemon of a call. I have used to the hoochie mamma with great success over the past 5 years, as well as my brothers and my father. I am not a "professional hunter" by any means, but there are enough racks and mounts between us to warrant that this call aint bad!

I can only tell you my experiences and those on hunts were i have been involved, and the hoochie worked well!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Have you called in a elk with it? Or have you been carrying it when killing a elk? Do you use the hoochie mama or the hoochie calf? Cabelas ratings on the hoochie mama are pretty bad. Have you compared it with a mouth call?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

they're so popular is the thing that turns me off about it, everyone seems to have a hoochie mama in their pocket, besides a handheld/mouth call is so easy to use/operate, so that's all I use nowadays pretty much.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
they're so popular is the thing that turns me off about it, everyone seems to have a hoochie mama in their pocket, besides a handheld/mouth call is so easy to use/operate, so that's all I use nowadays pretty much.
Ya I feel the same way. Plus the mouth call sounds way more realsitic and you can make it sound like their is more than one cow. Unlike the hoochie mama.

Last edited by genesis27:3; 09-27-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

From what I have experienced with it, they do work. I always have one hanging close to my left hand while hunting for easy access to stop an elk. It's just another tool in the tool box, and it's not a one call fits all. I like to let off a mew when walking and I step on some noisy to cover my sound. I've done that before and got answered from elk close by that I didn't know were there. You can get a lot more creative with other calls but the HM does have it's nitch.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used one a lot, but I don't use it alone and expect it to be the "end all" in calls. I normally use 4 different calls in any one calling situation during archery season.
When you hear a heard of cow elk talking, they make several different sounds at several different volumes. To expect to imitate them with JUST a hoochie moma is a big mistake.
I like the call, but if I had to choose just one call, it wouldn't be the one I'd pick.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Hoochie Mama, a Hoochie Mama Calf, a I-Maka-Da-Bull-Crazy and a Cow Girl call. I don't even carry the Hoochie Mama or Hoochie Calf call with me any more and I think I'm going to start leaving the I-Maka-Da-Bull-Crazy home as well.

I've been practicing with a mouth reed diaphram call and it is so much better than any of the other calls. I use it 90% of the time now. The Cow Girl has a really high pitch that I can't get with my mouth reed so I will keep carrying it as well.

Knowing when and how to use a call is as important, if not more important than the call itself though.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Spike

Not my fav call, but...Wanna sound like more than one elk? How about the hoochie mama in your hand while working the mouth call...My buddies 6 point liked it enough to give him a fifteen yard broadside.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mtlion
Not my fav call, but...Wanna sound like more than one elk? How about the hoochie mama in your hand while working the mouth call...My buddies 6 point liked it enough to give him a fifteen yard broadside.
UH? Now that is a pretty good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.