Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
how much should you call when elk hunting >

how much should you call when elk hunting

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

how much should you call when elk hunting

Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Spike

Default how much should you call when elk hunting

I dont know if this is the right place to post this, if its the wrong place sorry.

I was wondering how often i should call for elk in bow season. if im sitting still what type of call and how often should i call. should i bugle and then cow call, or cow call and then bugle.
or should i just cow call. or bugle. and i think they are going into the rut early here because when i was out bear hunting, i saw a herd of elk and i think i saw a bull.

it was far so i couldnt tell and they went into the woods to fast. any tips would be awesome. and what part of the woods should i hunt for them, by a marsh. clear cuts. creek. and if i want to just sit and call what area would be the best to hunt.

any advice will help me. im 17 and have been hunting for 4 years or so maybe 5, so im still a rookie lol. Thank you for any advice you can give.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use your bugle to locate and after you get close use cow sounds. That advice and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Use your bugle to locate and after you get close use cow sounds. That advice and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee. Good luck.
Cool thank you so much i will try it.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

man dude i envey you to chasing em with your bow...i just think it would be great hunting one of those big buggers
Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan on sitting still and hunting I would guess that you know what area they are in and waiting to ambush them. I would not call at all. If you don't have a spot picked out just use the bugle to see if you can get one to answer back. If you do move towards them and get closer and then sit down and cow call to try to lure him in.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

It really depends. It depends how much the elk are calling and how they are responding. Try different things.

Early in the rut bulls may come in silent. Try a few calling sequences focusing on cow in heat and wait 5 to 10 minutes. Try again 2 or 3 times. Keep alert and looking all around you. Try a locating bugle and see if anything responds. If not move a bit and start all over.

If nothing at all is repsonding either vocally or coming to you put the calls away and switch tactics. Time for spot and stalk or still hunting the timber.

If they are calling back to but not coming in then locate them, stalk as close as you can quitely, then try to challenge a bull by bugling and raking trees or give him some cow calls. If the situation is right once you locate a bull then just use his vocalizations to get close and kill em without calling at all. If you know where he is and can get close without calling then just put em away.

Most people over call so don't over do it. Lots of circumstances and most of it is learned by trial and error. Good luck.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 08-16-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Spike

Thank you so much for your input everybody, i learned some new stuff.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

HunterJacob, check your PM!

ElkNut1
Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be afraid to do some blind calling, in other words, just because you're not hearing any elk, don't be afraid to sit in one spot and call off and on. I can't count the number of bulls that we have called in over the years by doing this. And most of them that we called in while doing this, came in silent.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

If I'm hiking in and out of an area I use a cow call every now and then when I break timber or make a noise, so it sounds like an elk walking through the woods. If the elk are in rut I bugle to locate and cow call to get them in closer. If the elk arn't responding I don't over do it.

Early season the elk don't tend to call as much and can be spooked by calling to often. Also calling in the middle of the day tends to spook animals from my experiance. most elk bugle and call during early morning or late afternoon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.