Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hardest critter to hunt

Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I have hunted snow****s before. Its an unreal challenge. Spend all day climbing, hear them, and then spot them with binos. Then move in only to have them fly away around a sheer cliff that a mountain goat wouldnt cross. Back part way down and go at em again. Ill try it again this year.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Spike

I think hunting anything is hard. I haven't hunted much but I'd have to say turkeys take the cake for me.

I went out there day after day after day calling those birds. They would come out on the opposite end of the field. so the next day I would move. They came out the very same place I sat the day before.

They were rather frustrating.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Spike

I don't think setting in a stand or blind ,day after day is hard ,sometimes boring but not hard .Bow hunting well educated elk can kick your butt.Any hunt in large steep mountains on foot now thats tough.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

I would have to say mountain goats.

On any given day any species may feel impossible or extremely difficult, especially when you throw in trophy hunting, weather, and weapon choice. I used to think elk were the toughest but to hunt goats, regardless of weapon choice, you climb right on passed the deer, moose, elk and sheep country. You keep on climbing and eventually you're in goat country and only then can you even start looking for them much less be hunting them.

Imagine climbing up to a 12 to 13 thousand foot peak just to realize the goats are on another peak meaning you have to descend maybe 5 to 7 thousand feet and reascend. Then you try to get into position and the goat is either gone or spooks and you have to do it all over again. That's just opening morning.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 08-16-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by needs_recoil
Yeah I have hunted snow****s before. Its an unreal challenge. Spend all day climbing, hear them, and then spot them with binos. Then move in only to have them fly away around a sheer cliff that a mountain goat wouldnt cross. Back part way down and go at em again. Ill try it again this year.
Cool.Thats something I really want to try.
I imagine you have that bird mounted eh?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

The reason they are so frustrating and I wanted to put them on this list is because I still havent killed one. Several times the thought of bringing a 22 with me has crossed my mind.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted mule deer, elk, antelope, birds, small game, and mountain lions. I have helped a friend on a mountain goat hunt, and have deer hunted in goat country and sheep country.

For me, by far the most physically demanding, exhausting, mentally challenging hunt is mountain lion with hounds.

You don't have to worry about just you. When you turn the dogs loose, you owe it to them to get to them no matter what. They will do any thing for you, as you should for them. I have put myself in pretty sticky spots hunting the lions.

If I am deer, sheep, goat, elk or whatever else hunting, I can say, nope, will try to get him tomorrow. If I am hunting with the hounds, I have no choice but to get to the dogs, no matter how late I get there, or how worn out I get getting there.

Just my opinion.

Later,

Marcial
Old 08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

SPLIT TAILS.............HAHAHA
You can't ever figure them OUT!!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
SPLIT TAILS.............HAHAHA
You can't ever figure them OUT!!
You must really suck really, I mean really bad.
Ask most hunters, and will tell ya they have had more success and are the esiest hunt if all cheepest too.More hunters have mounted more of them anything else.
That's really bad dude.
that's almost gay.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 08-17-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Snipe. Over 40 years and the involvement of 100s of volunteered fellow campers, we have yet to get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.