Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help with New Mexico Elk Hunt >

Help with New Mexico Elk Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help with New Mexico Elk Hunt

Old 08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default Help with New Mexico Elk Hunt

My Wife and I have Primitive Tags for Section 9 on a private ranch. We have never been there and we have no idea what to expect. Just heard great things from other hunters that's been there. The season begins the second week in October. What's the weather typically and are they still bugling? My only Elk experience was last September in Montana. New to the site, any help would be awesome.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think unit 9 is Mt.Taylor...I hear mostly 5x5's come out of that region.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of our NM outfitters used to hunt unit 9 before the ranch owner hiked the lease up out of site on him. It is good unit for first time elk hunters. If your in a good area you should see plenty of elk and realistically have a chance at taking bulls in the 250"-280" class. Our last 2 archery hunters that we sent on a hunt in unit 9 both killed respectable 6x6 bulls in the 270+" class by the 3rd day. Of course there is always bigger bulls but 250"-280" class will be the average decent 5x5 or small 6x6 bulls in that unit. You may get to hear a little bugling but it won't be hot by then during a normal season. You have to ready to dress for any kind of weather.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Spike

Thanks guys for the help. It won't bother me if I have to eat a tag sandwich, I just hope my wife can get one. I will keep everyone posted with pics and hopefully video. Thanks - Mike
Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with your hunt. It is a good unit so you should have a good time, weather permitting.