Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

mule deer and elk calls?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Spike

Default mule deer and elk calls?

what calls should i use for a bull elk and mule deer bowhunt in early sept? is there a certain one that would be ideal for that season?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I've never been a big fan of trying to call muley's. You'll hear some chime in with a few things but by and large muleys are not hunted with calls. I've tried a little bit of everything from trying to use elk calls to fawn in distress and I've never called in a muley.

For elk diaphrams are really versitile and make about every sound out there and has a hands free operation which is great for stopping a bull for a shot. I also like to carry an external reed call because they make a much better sounding cow in heat call. I also carry a grunt tube for bugling (mostly just for locating bulls) and use a diaphram with it. I usually carry two hand calls like a hoochie mama and together with either a your reed call or a diaphram you can sound like a herd. All these calls used at the right time can be very effective.

The real trick besides learn how to blow these calls is learning the elk language and knowing what to say and when to say it.

Try out this site for some awesome calling videos on learning how to call: http://www.elknut.com/

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 08-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin View Post
I've never been a big fan of trying to call muley's. You'll hear some chime in with a few things but by and large muleys are not hunted with calls. I've tried a little bit of everything from trying to use elk calls to fawn in distress and I've never called in a muley.

For elk diaphrams are really versitile and make about every sound out there and has a hands free operation which is great for stopping a bull for a shot. I also like to carry an external reed call because they make a much better sounding cow in heat call. I also carry a grunt tube for bugling (mostly just for locating bulls) and use a diaphram with it. I usually carry two hand calls like a hoochie mama and together with either a your reed call or a diaphram you can sound like a herd. All these calls used at the right time can be very effective.

The real trick besides learn how to blow these calls is learning the elk language and knowing what to say and when to say it.

Try out this site for some awesome calling videos on learning how to call: http://www.elknut.com/
What he said Good info.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Spike

i've called in more mule deer with my rabbit squealer when i'm hunting coyotes, than i call in actual coyotes, the whole herd comes running