Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
How dangerous would staying in a ladder stand be at night for bear? >

How dangerous would staying in a ladder stand be at night for bear?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How dangerous would staying in a ladder stand be at night for bear?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Spike

I just thought of another question... There has been a bear(or bears) with cubs on the property that the owner has seen the past couple of years. Is it a bad idea to go walking a 1/4 + mile in the dark just before sunrise to get to my stand? with the possibilty of coming into contact with mama bear in the dark with low visibility? Or will mama bear most likely hear me coming and get out of the way when she hears me coming?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

The only reason that this makes any sense is if you are afraid of the dark. That is, if you are afraid to be walking in bear territory at night to get to and from your stand. After a few times walking in and out of the woods, you'll be fine, beats the heck out of sleeping in a tree
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley70
The only reason that this makes any sense is if you are afraid of the dark. That is, if you are afraid to be walking in bear territory at night to get to and from your stand. After a few times walking in and out of the woods, you'll be fine, beats the heck out of sleeping in a tree
I have walked out early in deer season. Just not this particular property. The whole mother bear and cubs multiple sightings by the owner and the fact that the property is very brushy and hilly makes me nervous because of visibility. Thats the reason for my last question. Will a mother bear if she hears me stand her ground or will she run if she hears me? I doubt my ability to take the mother out if she charged in the low visibility and terrain. Thats what makes me nervous.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if I was a bear you'd better get me in the first shot cause I'd have your guts splattered over a few miles.
So yeah Id say you'd have something to worry about walking into your stand at night with sows and cubs around walking in the dark.
Good luck to yeah.I really wouldn't have much sympathy for you nor me for that matter.That's the chance you take hunting bear.
You are right, they are fast and chances are you won't even get a shot off in the dark.No different than protecting your own familly in your own home.
I hunt an area where it is heavilly populated with grizzlies we see up to 4 or 5 a day.The scarriest time for us is when we are gutting the animal and packing it out.We make our own gun rules when this happens.Much rather be shot than eaten.But wouldn't blame them for doing what's natural for them to do.Next to a few African animals bears are the best at being defensive.I'm not one to reassure anybody that everythings going to be ok when it's not.
New land,multiple sow bear with cub sightings, can equal trouble.
Be careful
Be alert.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 08-03-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default not dangerous to you...

but sitting all night in a tree stand might give you hemoroids!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Spike

I assume you mean black bear, and not grizzley.

People talk up the horror stories, and you have Grizzley Man on TV...but most black bears are much less dangerous than a bull moose or elk. I've run into plenty backpacking and hunting, and every single one fled the second they realized I was there.

I've even known a few people who got between mother and cub with black bears. They got massive attack displays, but didn't get any organs rearranged.

So I wouldn't worry about it for black bears, they're pushovers. Grizzleys, however, will randomly decide to kill you. Don't mess with a grizzley.

Last edited by Gromky; 08-04-2010 at 09:57 PM.