Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

" Artificial" Rests

Old 07-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default " Artificial" Rests

For those of you who hunt elk, how many of you carry a bipod, monopod, cross sticks or other rest? Thanks for answering.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: " Artificial" Rests

Nope. That' s just one more thing that would be more weight to carry around. Too many trees around to use if I need to take a long shot. Sitting down and using your knees works great if you have the time. If not shooting sticks aint going to do any good any way.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bypod. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:33 AM

I picked up a " Snipe Pod" a couple years ago, do to the fact I didn' t have a tree in the area when the herd popped out and I got caught in the open, and had to take an off hand 200yd+ shot. Missed him clean 4 times[:-].As to the weight, I think the thing weighs all of 6oz. and detaches from the front sling stud in seconds. Very nice bipod in my opinion
Old 07-04-2003, 02:43 AM

I been caught too many times out in the an open area with no rest and did not dare to take a long shot offhand. I practice off hand out to 150 yds, but I will very seldom risk that shot in the field. I carry a pair of stoney point sticks and they are rock solid. They weight all of about 6 oz and I' ll pack that any day for added sureity they give me of a solid rest to get out an touch em'
Old 07-04-2003, 07:54 AM

No, I do not. I do most of my hunting in the mountain regions and therefore try to keep my weight as minimal as possible.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Harris bi-pod in my cantle pack on my saddle horse. I will take it out and put in on in the evening when I am glassing open hill sides. I never hunt with it in the timber.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, I have found sitting on the ground with me elbows rested on my knees, which are bent up, works great. Best part is my legs are coming with me, so no need for extra gear. If the ground cover (ie grasses) are to high I will kneel and do the same thing on my opposite shouldering side. If still no good, then I shoot off hand but limit myself to the range. I do however spend the bulk of my range time shooting all three ways, so I am really not accustom to a traditional style rest.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I bought some shooting sticks a while back but I' ve only used em once to harvest an animal. Most other times I sat or kneeled or used a tree due to field conditions. I still carry mine just in case though. The one time I used them the ground had 6 inches of melting snow and there were no trees nearby so the sticks saved me from getting my clothes soaked.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I carried a pair for a season once.It sounds like a good idea.But you either have to take time to unfold them or carry them open. It' s just another thing to carry around and fumble with.Put a bipod on a rifle and carry that around on an Elk hunt[X(]~!@#$%^&*. Learn to shoot without' em.

Quick Reply: " Artificial" Rests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.