Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk season is right around the corner!! >

Elk season is right around the corner!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk season is right around the corner!!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Elk season is right around the corner!!

Next week I am taking the mules up in the high country and I will start clearing trails. I will set up the coral and the guide tent to work out of. Week after we begin setting elk camp up for the year, all the tents, lattrine, cutting and stacking firewood etc. Hard to believe it is time again already. Looking foward to another great season in the high country and hearing those big boys screamin across the canyons. Just got off the phone with the camp cook and we are tweaking the menus for this years hunts. Farrier is heading down to the ranch today to shoe up the stock, we are in full hunting camp mode now as all the firewood and hay is in for the year down here at the house. I some fence to fix today and that concludes all the obligations on the ranch for the year. It is time!!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

37 days and counting!! I'm stoked and ready!!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ya I have about a week to figure out what I'm doing...dang MT seemed so late on limited entry this year....

I need to start running! wasn't planning on altitude...haha.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow...I don't go til mid Dec. and then again first week of Jan. 2011.

The elk I saw this last week had smooth summer coats on and hid in the shade whereever they could.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have about 42 days until I leave for camp. May try to go a couple days early and hunt Sept. 4th - 12th. I have been shooting the bow after getting the new strings put on and biking and hiking with the dog to start getting in a little better shape. Plus the softball and golfing all summet that I did. I should be good to go.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Yep seems like it was only last week when I took the tents down out of the rafters where they were drying and airing and put them in storage......looks like about 91 days before they get set up again!!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muley70: I assume you are an outfitter. Just out of curiousity, how long does your elk camp run? I assume there are multiple seasons. Do they run consecutively or are there gaps in between? How many people do you have in camp normally -- hunters, guides, wranglers, cooks, helpers?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alsatian
Muley70: I assume you are an outfitter. Just out of curiousity, how long does your elk camp run? I assume there are multiple seasons. Do they run consecutively or are there gaps in between? How many people do you have in camp normally -- hunters, guides, wranglers, cooks, helpers?
We start setting up camp in about two weeks, however, trail clearing etc will start Monday. First group of archery hunters arrives sept 4-11, then another group 13-20, and another 24-30. After that we let area rest until rifle, that hunt runs Oct 22-29 than the 2cd and rd weeks of rifle, after that it is lodge hunts only as the snow is too deep. In between archery hunts I am packing in hay & food etc. I will spend most of August and September on the mountain, along with 1 guide and a packer. We always have a cook in base camp, and usually a packer, I am always there and guides depend on how many clients and what type of hunt they have. Six hunters is our maximum at one camp. Different outfitters do different things. I will guide out of camp on every single hunt, because I love calling elk during archery and glassing during rifle and being in the field with hunters. Most outfitters don't guide but attend their camps, some don't even go into camp all season long.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Who would want to hire an outfitter that never sets foot in his own camps? I do know that does happen but that's just ridiculus. That's a man that's all show and no go. Well good luck to those that do get in those situations.

I'm ready was born ready to do it. Lets go get em.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Who would want to hire an outfitter that never sets foot in his own camps? I do know that does happen but that's just ridiculus. That's a man that's all show and no go. Well good luck to those that do get in those situations.

I'm ready was born ready to do it. Lets go get em.
I agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.