Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What about upper NECK shots for ELK? >

What about upper NECK shots for ELK?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What about upper NECK shots for ELK?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Spike

Default What about upper NECK shots for ELK?

Okay, I haven't hunted with a rifle for 25years, but I'm retired to Arizona and I'm thinking of getting out for some ELK this year (Elk sausage, etc!).

When I used to hunt (Moose) with Dad we always got close enough to try to take the shot just behind the head on the upper part of the neck.
Is ANYONE doing that anymore?

I keep reading about "through shots" into the lungs (shoulders) and such. Isn't that a lot of meat to waste? Or is there something with the new bullets that's different?

I was always a Corelokted fan...but I do like the looks of the Remington A-frame perhaps even better.

So, bring me up to speed folks...is anyone still shooting upper NECK shots anymore (just behind the head)? School me...as it's been 25+years!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Spike

To much room for error ,aim for the lungs and give up a few ribs. Corlok have treated me very will on all my hunts. Goodluck .
Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im no elk hunter but like stated, too much room for error. youd have to hit the spine or sever an artery. Always consider Murphy.

As far as bullets go, I think a heavy for caliber, cup and core bullet(i like hornadys) will usually hold together well, at moderate speeds 2500-2900fps.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

lung shot only or i let it walk ...you don't lose meat with a lung shot only ribs and hide ...no need to shoulder shoot that is a waste of meat ..the neck shot is either an instant kill or a wounded animal walking away from you to rot in the bush ..
Old 07-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take that shot if it was all I had. It would have to be real close. I'm talking 50 yards or less. The elk would have to be standing perfectly still though.

Last year, I left my calls on the atv that was miles away. I walked up on a nice cow that was above me and heading left to right. Most of her body was coverd with logs, and whatever vegatation that was there. She was only 25 yards away. I really think I could have snuck in a lung shot but decided it wasn't right. If my call was in my mouth, instead of on the atv, I would have stopped her dead in her tracks. That would have given me plenty of time for a neck or head shot. However, she just kept walking and I just had to watch. That was the only time in my elk hunting years that I would have taken a head or neck shot.

With all that being said, I doubt that a head or neck shot will be the only shot presented to you. It would not be the shot that I would prefer. I would only take that shot if it was a no brainer and the only shot I had. I think a clean, double lung shot is better than a couple of extra pounds of meat.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default next time

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I'd take that shot if it was all I had. It would have to be real close. I'm talking 50 yards or less. The elk would have to be standing perfectly still though.

Last year, I left my calls on the atv that was miles away. I walked up on a nice cow that was above me and heading left to right. Most of her body was coverd with logs, and whatever vegatation that was there. She was only 25 yards away. I really think I could have snuck in a lung shot but decided it wasn't right. If my call was in my mouth, instead of on the atv, I would have stopped her dead in her tracks. That would have given me plenty of time for a neck or head shot. However, she just kept walking and I just had to watch. That was the only time in my elk hunting years that I would have taken a head or neck shot.

With all that being said, I doubt that a head or neck shot will be the only shot presented to you. It would not be the shot that I would prefer. I would only take that shot if it was a no brainer and the only shot I had. I think a clean, double lung shot is better than a couple of extra pounds of meat.

JUst say hello there pretty girl...and she'll most lickly freeze in her tracks... U guys over think this call BS... I have stopped many a deer and elk by just addressing them in a normal voice.. U'd be amazed at how long they will look U in the eye!!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
JUst say hello there pretty girl...and she'll most lickly freeze in her tracks... U guys over think this call BS... I have stopped many a deer and elk by just addressing them in a normal voice.. U'd be amazed at how long they will look U in the eye!!!!
It's not BS. I tried and it didn't work. I've stopped them before with a whistle. This one wasn't stopping. A little mew, would have gave me enough time. Thanks for your expertise though, I always enjoy it.

Edit- How do you feel about neck shots? That was the point of the thread, or did that go over your head?

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 07-17-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

I've passed on a number of head and neck shots. Not saying I'd never take one, but have always gone for the chest.

A normal voice will often stop an animal in its tracks, as will a whistle, or call. I don't know that anything is 100%.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

All depend on what kind of a shooter you are. If your experienced calm and collected on your shots and the situation calls for it I say sure why not. I hear all the horrors of neck shots. I just have a defense for it on how other SAFE shots can go bad.

One of the most over looked and misconceptions of shot on Elk is the shoulder shot. Everyone is into this big and heavy bullet smashing through the shoulder and into the lungs. Thats all well in good but....... Elk are not armor plated but they have alot bigger bones than deer. And those bigger bones turn bullets easier if the bullet strikes at bad angle or hits too low into that massive knuckle. Also the shoulder plate acts just like a ramp at a severe upwards shot sending the bullet right out the top of the withers causing only minor wounds. A bullet at a bad angle can sent it right into the front portion of the elk towards the brisket causing no immediate life threatning danger to the animal. Anyone who's ever tracked a elk that only has one functional front leg knows they can still out distance you to the point you'll never in fact run it down. You can sneak up on it and put it down if your lucky enough and skilled at tracking wounded animals.

Of all the wounded elk I've tracked for other hunters that broken front leg is the worst of em all. I'd rather have a gut shot elk to track he's gonna lay up more often. I'm not trying to say neck shots are best to shoot but I've seen plenty other mishaps trying to make a good shot and it go wrong too. The best shot is to make sure you stay back into the lungs and only hit nothing but rib bones. DEAD ELK EVERYTIME. Rifle hunters should pay more attention to how Archery hunters have to aim at animals for kill shots it works the same for rifles.

Any shot can go bad, one bobble at the time of the bullet leaving the barrel and you got a wounded animal. Neck shots are best left to accomplished hunters or should I say shooters.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I came up over a hill and found elk bedded down in deep snow. All I could see was about 3" of the back and the neck. I was about 60 yards away and took the neck shot. That elk didn't move at all. That is the only neck shot I have taken. I like just behind the shoulder shots as there is a little larger target to hit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.