HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What about upper NECK shots for ELK?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
finnbear
Fork Horn

Default next time

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I'd take that shot if it was all I had. It would have to be real close. I'm talking 50 yards or less. The elk would have to be standing perfectly still though.

Last year, I left my calls on the atv that was miles away. I walked up on a nice cow that was above me and heading left to right. Most of her body was coverd with logs, and whatever vegatation that was there. She was only 25 yards away. I really think I could have snuck in a lung shot but decided it wasn't right. If my call was in my mouth, instead of on the atv, I would have stopped her dead in her tracks. That would have given me plenty of time for a neck or head shot. However, she just kept walking and I just had to watch. That was the only time in my elk hunting years that I would have taken a head or neck shot.

With all that being said, I doubt that a head or neck shot will be the only shot presented to you. It would not be the shot that I would prefer. I would only take that shot if it was a no brainer and the only shot I had. I think a clean, double lung shot is better than a couple of extra pounds of meat.

JUst say hello there pretty girl...and she'll most lickly freeze in her tracks... U guys over think this call BS... I have stopped many a deer and elk by just addressing them in a normal voice.. U'd be amazed at how long they will look U in the eye!!!!