Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
when they are in the water in Big Game Hunting? >

when they are in the water in Big Game Hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

when they are in the water in Big Game Hunting?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I see nothing in washingtons laws and regs that prohibits shooting a animal in the water.....as for the ethical side, that would be a personal issue... U would not beleave how many old timers around here think it's unethical to shoot a doe deer or cow elk!!! me I hunt for the meat, so if I come across a leagal animal it will be shot!!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's face bullets can skip and riccochet off of virtually anything in it's flight path and the person pulling the trigger is totaly responsible for everywhere that bullet goes and every destructive thing that bullet does until it stops.I personally wouldn't shoot an big game animal swimming across a lake or swamp but at the same time if I saw a legal big game animal standing at the far edge of a swamp I wouldn't think twice about weather or not it just crossed or even how far it travelled to cross.If gave myself the ok to kill that animal, I'd point my rifle in the direction of the target aim at the vitals and pull the trigger. I do it in a heart beat.With no regretts as where that animal just came from or how far it travelled.
I consider myself an ethical hunter for the most part
but if I worried about steep climbs valleys water these animals endure on a daily basis and took that into consideration I wouldn't have killed
a single animal by now.
And every hunter would think Im a PETA supporter.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian
That would be me. It sounds like I've said something dumb related to the known precepts of moose hunting. What is that, so I can avoid embarrassing myself again. Is it that it is pretty difficult to find a moose NOT in water?

Nope not at all. If you haven't been then you couldn't have known. In the few days I spent chasing moose around we didn't ever see them 'not in the water'.

Getting a dead beast out of the water can be a much more difficult proposition than simply killing one standing in the water though.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Let's face bullets can skip and riccochet off of virtually anything in it's flight path
True but with a shallow angle water ricochet the bullet will retain 100% of it's weight and nearly all of it's velocity making it a very unique kind of ricochet. Ricochet's off other objects generally slow a bullet way down and break it up into smaller pieces.

Water ricochets are not just dangerous because of what is on the other side of the body of water they are also very dangerous because of how far they can potentially travel.