Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunting

Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default Bear Hunting

new to the hobby quick question

if you used a semi auto barrett m82a .50 to hunt a 1500 lb. kodiak would it drop the s.o.b. on the first shot?

thanks,

drew
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Spike

probally not that gun is to fast for anything just would punch right through even through bone i would recommend a 375 H&H with a 250 grain trophy bonded bear claw it will kill anything that it comes up against
Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

maybe.

I'd probably rather have a .458 lott with 500gr soft points.

That barret would be way too heavy too probably.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wapitiwallowcrkoutfitters
probally not that gun is to fast for anything just would punch right through even through bone i would recommend a 375 H&H with a 250 grain trophy bonded bear claw it will kill anything that it comes up against
i was kind of thinking about a .50 cal. you see .375 scares me because if one shot doesn't drop it you've just pissed it off. i'd have to a least go with a .44 maybe a desert eagle?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by qbkr21
i was kind of thinking about a .50 cal. you see .375 scares me because if one shot doesn't drop it you've just pissed it off. i'd have to a least go with a .44 maybe a desert eagle?
I've put hunters on a lot of big bears the .375HH is a fantastic bears round. I wouldn't back off from anything from a .300 mag up. Shot placement is as important as what you are shooting. I've never had a hunter lose a bear that was lung shot if you can take both lungs out so much the better. I also tell my hunters before we even see a bear to take a follow up shot don't even wait for me to tell them.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by akchuck
I've put hunters on a lot of big bears the .375HH is a fantastic bears round. I wouldn't back off from anything from a .300 mag up. Shot placement is as important as what you are shooting. I've never had a hunter lose a bear that was lung shot if you can take both lungs out so much the better. I also tell my hunters before we even see a bear to take a follow up shot don't even wait for me to tell them.

one of these days i'm going to pay you to take me bear hunting
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

I am not speaking from personal experience or anything, but I believe a BMG 50 Cal would drop an elephant, much less a bear.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by qbkr21
I think you are confusing a 375 HH magnum w/ a 357mag handgun. The 375 is very powerful big game rifle cartridge. It is regularly used in africa to hunt elephant and buffalo, it is many Xs more powerful than a 44 magnum handgun. A 50BMG would probably be too heavy to hunt any game that you would have to walk more than a 1/2 mile to find. A bolt action 338 mag rifle, sounds like a much more practical choice.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

The Barrett is a great rifle but is it a legal caliber to hunt with would be the more important question? If you are scared of recoil you need to remember the Barrett still kicks like a pump 12ga slug gun even with that giant muzzlebrake. Anyways they are loading softpoints for it now though for around $9.00 a bullet if it is allowed. Ill have to look it up but I believe they were 650gr. Ill go do a search see if I can find them again.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Yes. They do have a softpoint round. I was wrong it is 600 gr. 3100 FPS and delivers 12,803 flbs. At 1000 yds it still delivers 4,589 ft pounds. The Bear would have to be titanium and kevlar for that not to put it down. You can find it on www.rbcd.net. It is called the Performance plus 50 cal hunting round if you are serious. You better have one hell of a good job. The rifle is $9,000 - $10,000 for a M82. I was wrong on the ammo price to those were fmj. You are looking at $200 - $300 a box for that specialty hunting stuff. You are nuts in my opinion or you have too much money LOL. Good hunting.