Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Hunting - Safety Tips >

Colorado Hunting - Safety Tips

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Hunting - Safety Tips

Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Colorado Hunting - Safety Tips

Hi Everyone,

I have been hunting for a little over a year now and I am already counting down the days until the next deer season. I looking at taking a trip to my parents' house in Woodland Park, CO where they have about 80 acres sitting up against Pike National Forest. Also I have seen this buck grow up for the past few years and I think by next November he will be ready to harvest!

Colorado Hunting - Safety Tips-monkeyeclipsehuntnet.jpg

The only problem is that when I was scouting for spots last December I saw a pretty ominous track in the snow:

Colorado Hunting - Safety Tips-lionprinthuntingnet.jpg

My question is to all of you experienced mountain hunters: What sort of precautions/techniques and possible classes should I know about when hunting around dangerous game? I have heard that bow hunting is less likely to draw the attention of a predator because gun shots can mean that fallen game is near by, but even if that were true the chance of running into a mountain lion is still a fairly serious situation. I usually hunt in Kansas and the biggest predator we have to worry about is a coyote, and even they don't measure up to the ones we have in the mountains. (Seriously, those things are the size of german shepherds out there!) I won't be traveling too far from the house--there are several good draws within 100 yards of the house so I don't think I would need a guide, just some helpful tips for hunting around dangerous game.

Cheers,

Brasky
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The chances of a "dangerous" encounter are very VERY small. You really have very little to worry about. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be aware of your surroundings, but very few people/hunters ever see a mtn. lion, let alone have a close encounter with one.

Actually, I'd say bow hunters are more likely to attract a big cat because we use calling more so than rifle hunters do, and the calling will attract predators quicker than any thing else.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

That is the one animal I always fear when im in the woods,and they should be feared, I have been stalked by one and so as my boss. I have been attacked by coyotes before, but the mountain lions havent made a attempt at me. I read somewhere that their is a ML every two miles in every direction. They have only been known to attack people when the hunting is bad for em, and they need a easy meal. I always carry at least a fixed blade knife with me when I am guiding,trapping,hunting...etc. If you have a pistol I would defiantly bring that along, Pepper spray isnt a bad idea either. Even though the chances of you bein attacked is low, It can happen, and it is always good to be prepared for the worst.

Good luck!
Hope you kill the big one!

Gen
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
The chances of a "dangerous" encounter are very VERY small. You really have very little to worry about. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be aware of your surroundings, but very few people/hunters ever see a mtn. lion, let alone have a close encounter with one.

Actually, I'd say bow hunters are more likely to attract a big cat because we use calling more so than rifle hunters do, and the calling will attract predators quicker than any thing else.
What he said........

The only beast I fear in the mountains while hunting generally stands on two legs and often carries a gun.

In nearly fifty years of BG hunting in the mountians of CO I have seen exactly 2 mtn. lions. One came to me probably because he smelled fresh elk kill, he retreated quickly. The other I saw cross a road in front of me while I was driving up a steep incline at very slow speed.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

+2. I have hunted almost 30 years in Colorado and have yet to see a mountain lion. And I have covered LOTS of miles near and far from roads. Have seen a number of bears, but they have never bothered me. The main issue from them is food sources when camping and you won't have to worry about that.

So, while it helps to be prepared, you shouldn't lose any sleep over it. And if you are hunting in Novemeber, you will be carrying a gun. That is far and away better protection than any other. Fire a warning shot to scare them away if they are threatening you and 99% of the time, you won't have to fire another.

One more thing. Be sure there is no salt block out where you hunt. It is not legal to hunt over any kind of attractant, salt included.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
If you have a pistol I would defiantly bring that along,
In Utah it's illegal to carry a firearm while on an archery hunt, unless you have a concealed weapons permit. Not sure about Colorado but make sure you know the rules their before packing a firearm on an archery hunt.

But like others have said this is an extremely remote problem. I've personally never worried about it although I was stalked by a black bear while calling elk in camo and sitting down under a tree. I stood up and waved my arms and once he realized what I was he turned and ran the other direction.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 04-14-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

In most cases adults are a lot less likely to be attacked by mountain lions than say a bear. Cats are wise on their prey and some what timid to attack anything they might view as harmful. I've hunted a lot of mountain lions and they for one do not like people. The minute a person gets to the tree they get really nervous. Has seen a lot of cats in the wild even without dogs I'm blessed to have seen em. They will avoid any contact or chance of being seen out in the wild. Now around populated area's that's a whole different story. But they still are gonna go for smaller females or children vs an adult male. Cats are less likely to attack a person compared to a cow elk with a calf.

I was circled three times in one morning tracking a cat. The cat's prints were in my prints three times in less than an hour. Was it sizing me up I don't know. But the logical thing tells me he was trying to throw me off on his tracks and scent. I did have a young pup with me educating him on the scent. At the end the dog got to see the cat. He went ruffed up and starting barking. I wish I'd had my head up to see that. After that the cat went to the top and circled twice more and took off. We played this game with that particular cat for three days. He outsmarted five houndsmen and twice as many dogs. They are a unique critter. I love hunting them.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

I had a lion crouched down and waiting for me when I climbed out of a treestand in Colorado once. He was about 8 yards away. When I faced off on him and started to draw my bow, he turned tail and walked off

Most of the time, I do not think they would attack a person. They might stalk you for a while, but the chances of an attack are slim.

I consider my encounter a very rare instance, and to give the Cat some credit, I was calling like a cow elk while sitting on stand

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Hey everyone, thanks for the quick reassurances. It's good to hear that the dangerous game in the mountains are not too much to worry about. In fact, while reading some of your replies I recalled a strange/funny statistic about Colorado: more people have been eaten by other people than by mountain lions.

With regard to TXhunter, I definitely will not have a salt block anywhere near by. The block in the picture is right outside the living room window--my mom and sisters enjoy watching the deer and elk come close to the house, though they're not too thrilled that I will taking out one of their "mountain friends." (They wouldn't mind if I shot that bear, though.)

As for Genesis, I'll have my buck knife with me but I'll probably leave the bear mace at home--unless I am hiking and cannot carry a gun. If the wind changes, it has always seemed to more of a liability than a savior in the woods.

Thanks again for all of your input! I'll be sure to put it to good use.

Brasky
Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I worry more about two legged predators getting into my truck or camp then any 4 legged predators while out in the mountains. I carry a 40Cal when out in the mountains for either 2 or 4 legged that cause any threats.

PS. I'm only 30 minutes from Woodland Park so if you would like for me to get him for you, just let me know.

Last edited by Colorado Cajun; 04-15-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added Text

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.