Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Moose vs. Berger VLD Bullet >

Moose vs. Berger VLD Bullet

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose vs. Berger VLD Bullet

Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default Moose vs. Berger VLD Bullet

Gentlemen,

I currently shoot a TCPro Hunter 300winmag,using the 168 Grain VLD Berger hunting bullet. I have had nothing but great success at the range and shooting whitetail. I will be Hunting moose and mountain goat in BC this year. I have a two part questions:

Have any of you shot a moose using a berger bullet? If so what grain/caliber did you use? And the Results??

Any other good bullets to use on them?

Thanks guys for your input!!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:36 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

I have not used Berger VLD's on moose and doubt that I ever will. I will stick with one of the following: Nosler Accubond or Barnes TSX or TTSX. Some people feel Bergers are great big game bullets and others feel they are best suited for punching paper. Very few question the ability of Accubonds or Barnes to hold together on tough big critters like moose. I would also add the Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame and Speer Grand Slams to the list of bullets that hold together well but I have never been able to get them to group as well as Accubonds or Barnes.

These bullets will work fine on your billy as well. Good luck on your trip.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of brand you need to shoot something a little heavier like a 180-220 gr.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Spike

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for your input!!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the suggestion of Barnes or Accubonds. For the barnes 168 or 180 would be fine, I have used 140gr TSX's to harvest both moose and elk flung from a 7mm rem mag with 0 problems. I have also used Accubonds on both critters with good results. My current setup is a 338wm with 225gr AB's, while a dedicated elk and moose setup I have used it for on deer as well, results have been JFL. The AB performs well and personally I'd go with the 200AB assuming it grouped well in your rifle. Good Luck
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Spike

I have never shot a moose with the VLD bullets but I would have to agree with the previous posts and suggest a bullet that holds together much better for moose. I have shot elk with Berger VLD's with great results but I think a mooses bone structure might be a little too much for them. When I shot my Montana moose several years ago I was amazed at how tough of an animal they are. I shot mine three times with 200 grain bonded bullets out of a .300 Ultra Mag and still had to walk up and finish it off.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Spike

Seeing as you are likely paying for a guided hunt, likely northwest or up west of Fort Nelson,a big bull in that area can hit 1400lbs, farther north towards Alaska or the Yukon borders, a bit bigger yet. People out there have used Berger, I tend to think the number is pretty small yet, hunting bullets are new to them.
Consider a quartering frontal, shoulder shot, or a hoop shot, 50-200yds, it may be all you have. Moose have been killed with .22's, but, a proper Big game bullet is something more along the lines of the Partition,A-frame, Grand Slam or Interlocks or Bear claws.
Bullets are cheap, that is an EXPENSIVE hunt. Moose are wimps, they will go lay down real quick when hit, but, if they get up, you likely have a problem you will never find again to solve. They can cover a lot of ground in a big hurry to the ugliest place you can think of, often involving water. It can really screw up your day. With a combo of bullwinkles & goats, I'd go 180gr min, Goats are usually a longer shot, in the wind, up above 7000 ft the wind never quits. As a bullet for that combo, for myself, a Partition, it'll penetrate on the bullwinkle, and open up on the goat.
PS, wear a hardhat when hunting goats, they like to tease you by kicking rocks down on you. Shoot one for me, I hate 'dem blasted tings.

Last edited by 209jones; 03-31-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: reworded
Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Spike

My buddy did shoot a good bull up here in bc with a 270 running berger it did the job but took 3 shots. But after he seen what i did to my biggest bull lets say he is a barnes fan now!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

Despite being massive, moose arent as tough as you may think. An average elk is tougher then an average moose. Every fall, my camp is full of guys using everything from 6.5x55 (.264cal) to nothing bigger then a 30.06, with bullets in the 140-220gr range. Most of the guys use soft point ammo as well. And we never have any trouble downing moose. Good shot placement is the key, as always.