Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Elk Hunting Info

Old 01-25-2002, 11:31 PM

Default Need Elk Hunting Info

I'm going on my first elk hunt this year, and I'm looking for a rifle. I've been told to try a 7mm Mag, but I was thinking along the lines of a .30-06. Can anyone with elk hunting experience help me decide?
Old 01-26-2002, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Elk Hunting Info

Cowboy welcome to the board . Your going to get all kinds of advise on that question .I will tell you what I use and that is a 300 win mag when I use a rifle .A 7mm mag is okay but not my personal preference. I have owned three of them at one time or another .Lots of luck .
Old 01-26-2002, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Myself and my partners have taken many elk with the 7mm mag and 7mm stw.We use 140 gr partitions and rarely recover a bullet.It may not be as powerful as some of the larger calibers but it does do a good job certainly as good or better than the 30-06.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:46 AM
Spike

I've always used a Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 with 180 grain rem core lokts. Hundreds if not thousands of elk are killed by either round every year, I just prefer to hit them with a 180 grain bullet. (Plus the 30-06 is what I own)
Old 01-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flip a coin, you can't go wrong. I use the 7mm mag with a 160 nosler partition bullet.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:40 AM

The best rifle/claiber for elk? Theone you own, the one you can shoot well, the one that you can put the bullet into the chest and shut down the essential boiler room equipment. All you realy need is to do an in/out sucking chest lung hit and the elk is yours. The only real thing other than that, is make sure that the hole is big enough. Anything thats 7mm to 338 in diameter shot at a distance that still gives a 1000 lbs of energy at the strike distance works.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:54 PM
Spike

Well Cowboy, it really depends on your shooting ablity. Both guns are great for elk. I use a 30-06, and my brother uses a 7mm mag. I love the distance shooting I can do with the 7mm mag, but I hate the kick and I don't take long shots at game, especially elk. The only other complaint I hear from my brother (and my dad before him) was the weight of the 7mm mag. Up here in Colorado, one extra pound feels like 10 at the end of the day.

Also you might consider what other use you will get out of your rifle. If you plan on hunting anything bigger than elk, then I'd go with the 7mm mag, but if elk is as big as you are hunting, then go with the 30-06 so you can use it on smaller game.

BM

...Rocky Mountain...
Old 01-27-2002, 10:43 AM

2 factors apply here. 1 what kind of country do you hunt, open, brushy, canyons etc. and the 2nd is how much recoil can you handle repetedly. a 06 is a elk killing machine under 200 yards and im sure has killed more elk then any other caliber. but when shooting out 300 to 400 yards you must get a bigger caliber. i have killed elk at 300 yards with my 7mm mag and would not hesitate to shoot 400. but i also practise at them yardages and know the drop of my bullets. a 300 or 338 are also excellent.i even have 1 freind who shoots a 375h&h mag but he wount shoot farhter then 250 with it. but you should see the elk drop. definately too much gun. on the other hand a 06 can be shot many times by women and younger hunter. and ive yet to see them shoot my hot loaded 7mm without flinching terrible. i say you must be able to shoot repeatedly because you must know your gun . in a hunting situation you will not feel the recoil of you gun. but to sight it in properly and get a feel for it you need to shoot at least 20 -30 shells a year.
Old 01-27-2002, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either cartridge will do the job. My dad, uncles, and grandpas have taken elk with both calibers with no problem. Its all a matter of what you have, like, and can shoot well. I also believe in the 1000 ft.-lb rule. Take your pick.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:35 PM

i think a 30-06 will do just fine
where are you going elk hunting at?

Quick Reply: Need Elk Hunting Info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.