Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muley and Elk suggestions

Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Spike

Default Muley and Elk suggestions

I went hunting for the first time in 17 years last year (and my first time in Colorado ever). I got skunked but had a greattime and got the bug bad. We went up to West Muddy/Electric Mountain area in the Grand Mesa National forest, lots of pressure 2nd rifle last year.

I am looking for some input on units for both Muley and Elk on the Western Slope. I do not care one bit about trophy animals, I am looking for meat and a good experience.

I live in Grand Junction and my buddy has a place in Mancos (in between Cortez and Durango) but he just moved there so does not know much about the area. So we were originally thinking the 71ish area near him or Flattops near me. He says the muleys are crawling all over the place there, but who knows for hunting season?

Open to suggestions, prefer a no preference point area and just am overwhelmed by the "book". Rifle and maybe muzzleloader season and again, am open to suggestions.

Anyway, any input appreciated.