Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 ? on rifle airline travel case >

? on rifle airline travel case

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? on rifle airline travel case

Old 06-19-2003, 12:35 AM

Default ? on rifle airline travel case

I am going on my first " fly to" hunting trip this October and was looking for a airline travel case for my rifle. What are your opinions on a GOOD solid travel case. I don' t mind if they are exspensive. Also I am wanting to get one to hold 2 rifles. Thanks for your advice.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:14 AM

Default RE: ? on rifle airline travel case

SKB cases are very rugged. Check this one out: http://www.casesbyskb.com/gun/double...-case-5009.htm
Old 06-19-2003, 04:54 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...Go.x=20&Go.y=9

If the above link doesn' t work, go to Cabelas website
www.cabelas.com
At the top-left, type in " gun travel case" and click on " go."
They handle a whole bunch of gun cases. The one I have is a Browning. It has survived a dozen airline flights.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:56 AM

At Cabelas website, do the search thing for " Browning Gun Vault."

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=&cmCat=search
Old 06-19-2003, 08:00 AM
jjt

neweboar
i would suggest getting the hard plastic I bought an extra strenght aluminum case last year and the airlines DESTROYED it. it was a nice case all shiney and straight after a trip there and back 6 planes and 2 customs stops they wore the shine off and put several deep scratches and dents in the cases

the only good thing was the guns were not hurt

one of my friends told me the plastic holds up better to the abuse than the aluminum cases.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:23 AM

Patrkyhntr,

Thats a heck of a link! I have a while before I have to make a decision. I was considering the Cabela' s aluminum heavy duty double rifle case. It is not cheap, but neither is my rifles.

jjt,

Was it the travel on the bush planes or regular airlines that damaged the metal guncases? I don' t doubt your word, but it seems that a plastic case would flex more and might cause damage to my rifles.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:43 AM
jjt

i only traveled on comercial airlines slc utah to newbrunswick

i have a softer plastic case for hunting camp. it would NOT hold up to the airlines

but i was in sportsmans wharehouse and they have a airplane safe plastic gun case that looked and felt pretty durable

after the trip my cases are still usable they just look horrible and i had to bend a couple of the latches back into operation. so metal cases will work its just a shame to see a $250 case get beet up so fast.

I have the cabelas bullet proof case if i were buying again i would try something like the browning gun vault
to fly today you need a case that is made out of the material they make that little black box from
Old 06-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an old ICC aluminum double rifle case that I bought 15 years ago and it with the exception of some scratches looks brand new.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:53 PM

SKB,I have one and used it to go to Alberta 3 years ago.very solid
Old 06-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don' t travel with my guns nearly as much as some do but the plastic cases have always worked fine. My guns have always arrived just fine. I would say I have flown with my guns about 6 or 8 times. I do put two locks on them and wrap a strap or duct tape around the ends just for safe measure to keep them closed.

Quick Reply: ? on rifle airline travel case

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.