Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Oregon Elk 2010

Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Spike

Default Oregon Elk 2010

I plan to archery hunt the Mt Emily unit in Oregon this 2010 season. My question is, does anyone have recomendations for as to where to hunt (general, don't need your specfic hot spot) on public land, or where I may check for recommended areas? I see that the Umitilla National forest is a fairly large part of the unit, has anyone heard or had experience hunting this area? any suggestions or info to get me to a reliable souce of info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

are you a resident I assume? If not, read ahead...

did you see what they did to non-resident fees this year!!??
starting to think that state has no clue when it comes to trophy management and tag allowances for non-residents. I think many non-residents are going to throw in the towel with OR this year.

As a non-res I was considering applying, essentially for a chance to buy a lottery ticket for a bighorn sheep tag in that state.

Both Eastmans' and Huntin Fool are saying forget Oregon if you're a non-res without many points already built up...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

We hunted the Umatilla National Forest years ago, there were a decent number of elk, but there was way too much pressure on them where we were. The elk were for the most part totally silent, and very hard to locate.

I would get some really good topo maps if I were you, and try to find a hole somewhere at least 3 to 5 miles from any road. If the terrain is right (timber and scabrock flats), you will find elk. Lot of people road hunting for deer and elk......they will push them into those hard to reach areas.

Best of Luck
Jeff
Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default oregon elk hunting

Are there otc tags available in Oregon for nonresident hunters? I justs received the big game hunting brochure in the mail but haven't had a chance to read it all yet. A good friend lives in OR and has been trying to get me to come out (from Missouri) and hunt elk. So we were planning to go out the 3rd week in Sept. The Willamette NF area around the 3 Sister Mtns is where we were looking at.