Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Snowed Out!!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Spike

Exclamation Snowed Out!!

Anyone else out there have a hunt cancelled on them due to too much snow or poor weather? Was to fly out west next tuesday to start a 8 day mt.lion hunt but there is just too much snow. Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had this happen to them at anytime and what was your experience with your guide or outfitter?
Guess I cant complain, my hunt is being pushed to this April. Only cost that I will have to eat is the service charge on the airfare.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Unfortunatley that's the risk you run with late season lion hunts. Sucks that you have to eat the airfare change!

Good luck on the hunt!! I hope you're able to get a nice cat when you get there!!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt cats and there's a fine line between too much snow and great cat hunting. But for the most part I can't imagine not hunting a Mt lion because of too much snow. The deer and elk are going to be funneling into places where they can eat or ridges that are wind blown and exposed. I'd rather hunt the deep snow than have a dry warm winter.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is your hunt being cancelled because of snow where you are hunting, or because of snow from where you are leaving? I think an outfitter that hunts dry ground for a living shouldn't have any trouble hunting lions in the snow! Although the snow does help in finding fresh tracks, it can be a bugger trying to get anywhere, especially with horses/mules, and you may be better of waiting anyway. I would find out from the outfitter if they only use horses or if they have sleds/quads also. Just doesn't seem quite right. I figure an outfitter should be able to hunt no matter what the conditions are.

Later,

Marcial
Old 02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

The trip was called off due to the snow in northern Arizona where we were going to hunt. And we were were going to be on horseback. I was told that is the main reason for the called off hunt. I have had contact with other hunters in that region encountering the samething. Just rebooked for third week of April.