Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado pref. point confusion >

Colorado pref. point confusion

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado pref. point confusion

Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado pref. point confusion

Here is what the 2010 brochure says about PP fees:

2.Hunters will be automatically assessed $25 for a preference point unless
they opt out by selecting the appropriate check box on the big game drawing
application. If this option is checked, the applicant will not receive a
preference point unless they have purchased one of the following: an annual
fishing, small game, resident combination small game and fishing,
furbearer license in the previous year or a big game license in the previous
year or current limited license for the same species for which they may be
seeking a point. The $25 preference point fee is also waved for youths,
lifetime license holders, free senior annual fishing license holders and
Colorado residents who are in the military on active duty outside Colorado.

To me this sounds like you will be charged the $25 fee automatically even if you had a tag last year, unless you check the box to opt out. Am I misreading it?

So even though I had an elk tag, if I apply for a tag this year and don't draw, I will be charged $25 unless I check the appropriate box? And since I had an elk tag, even if I check the box to not pay the fee, I should still get a point?

Also, in the past, if I had any big game tag the previous year, I was not charged the fee for either deer or elk. This year, it sounds like you would only be exempt from the fee for the species you had the tag for?
This sounds much more complicated than it has been (as well as more expensive) Sounds like to be safe, you will be charged $25 per species unless you draw a tag this year.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

If you opt out you will not be charged for, nor will you receive a pref. point regardless of last year's license.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

"If this option is checked, the applicant will not receive a
preference point UNLESS they have purchased one of the following:"

Now do you see my confusion?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

How are" random drawings" still random with all this preference point business? Its kinda overwhelming to people trying to get started hunting out of state
Old 02-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no randomness with preference points. The people with the most points get picked. People without enough points have NO chance of getting chosen for that tag.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

txhunter - I agree it's phrased a bit weird but, to the best of my knowledge you won't be charged if you opt out. Worst case, call CDOW just to be sure.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Raghorn, you'll get your preference points and not get penalyzed.

Those guys out of state just banking perference points will be SOL and I think it's about time DOW did that. Either your part of the system or your just looking to take the cream off the top. Just the way I see it. I believe the DOW is getting ready to rework their whole draw system to make it friendly to those that hunt Colorado everyyear. Pay to play in my book means putting in your dues.

For those guys like TXhunter that goes all the time to Colorado should recieve bonus points in my book.

Guys that never hunted elk before in Colorado, to me it doesn't seem right they get to hunt prime country without getting their feet wet first. Colorado is one of the few places in the past where you get all your money back on applications minus a small $3.00 processing fee. I believe some places keep as much as $100.00 of your money for applying i.e. Arizona. I think it's fair and just. Maybe not so fair for those that have hunted a few years here and there and still have to pay. But for the most part the DOW is triming down on Trophy units and prefence points. The point system has gotten way out of control and crazy. We are talking preference points in the teens to hunt a quality managed unit. I feel for those that live in the area that's a trophy draw they have to travel to hunt and drool everyday off the back porch.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

I been here ten yrs and still cannot figure out the points and tag draw thing. So don't feel bad pilgrim. It aint made for the hunter or his quarry, its made for the $$$ .
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK. I emailed the Colorado DOW with this question and this is the answer they sent me:

David, you will not be charged the $25.00 fee because you had a Big Game
license last year. DO NOT check the box on the application if you want a
point. I agree it is confusing. I hope this helps answer your question,
JIM
Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
car
Typical Buck

Glad you called them. That is the way I read it too.

About saving your points. Yeah it sucks to have to pay $25 for a point. Some of the best areas your looking at 8 to 11 points to draw. Figure it up at $25 a point. Look how much you have invested in just the tag.

You can still be saving points and still be hunting in Colorado for elk. If you don't draw your first area, you get a point and if you draw your second choice you go elk hunting. Or just buy a over the counter tag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.