Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk calling

Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pikemaster
I have seen some people recomend a couple of videos about elk calling and can't rmember one of them. which ones do you guys recomend.
I'm going to slip you a tidbit that I hope you will find useful. When you practice your calling do so with the aid of a tape recorder. I don't think most guys realize how they sound, with a tape recorder you can really zero down your sounds.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Spike

once again...ELK NUT
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Spike

Paul and Paul Jr. definitely are the men. Some don't care for there tactics [aggressive], but you can't help but learn from the complete elknut video library. My first year hunting Elk and watching these videos was intimidating because they go into such detail on what to do and when to do it. Now that I have been a few times and had encounters with Bulls watching the videos makes much more sense and helps a lot. Also the tip on recording yourself sounds like a great tip.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Spike

Know don't get me wrong I have called in a fare share of elk mostly with cow calls but this last year was rough very limited elk talk in the woods, and it just got me wondering what else I could add to my calling maybe to get a little bit of a more of an edge. I will defiantly be getting the elk nuts tapes to listen to before next year. thanks again for the advice.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Okay i dont think there is a quick fix for calling elk.
Any video will help but you have to go out in the field to see for your self
All my knowlege about elk hunting came from Genesis27:3
He has shown me alot of stuff about elk hunting.
I would PM him if you have any questions.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
Okay i dont think there is a quick fix for calling elk.
Any video will help but you have to go out in the field to see for your self
This is true....but there are some vidoes out there that will start you much further ahead of the game as a beginner or wanting to step up your game. Experience counts big time but learning from others will give you some options to start throwing at elk and learning how they respond.

The biggest thing you get from elk nut is not just the sound an elk makes but you also learn they're language. It's important to understand what they are saying and how to repsond. Making your response sound good is only part of the game.

I had a conversation once with Paul (Elk Nut) and he asked me if I knew what a "bark" meant. I told him that I believed to mean an elk saying, "What are you? Who's there?" He told me believed that to be the case and that he had asked that same question to dozens of hunters and none of them had them same answer. He said he was shocked how few elk hunters knew what an elk bark meant to an elk. This isn't meant to boast at all....just making the point that many can repeat their sounds but how many know what they mean so that they can return an appropriate response?

When you hear a bugle is he locating cows or is he trying to ward off competition? Knowing what he is saying and knowing the appropirate response can mean a lot of things. Simply copying his bugle only works in certain scenarios, you could bring him in ready to fight or blow him out of the country.

When you do a lost cow call and get a response do you keep doing a lost cow call because you got a response? No you are no longer lost. A regular mew is then appropriate to get closer.

And so on....