Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Just curious

Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just curious

What is it about an elk that makes a somewhat sane person, that is for the most part a good hunter, but when they see an elk their brain seems to fall out their azzhole?? they don't look where they're shooting they don't think about whether they might be shooting on private property or across a road!!!

My daughter and I were out this last season, we were watching this herd come in they were on private property, but they were coming our way...it took about 4 hrs for them to come the 2 miles as they weren't in a big hurry as no one was pushing them!
We waited untill they jumped the fence onto state land, and then set up to take a shot we only had a narrow windo to shoot in because there was a hunter down below, I took the shot hit the spike and of course he ran straight to the other guy .. who promptly unloaded 15 shots at him, and unfortunatly us..we had to literally get down and hide as rounds were visibly hitting with in 10 to fifteen feet of us...like I said after 15 shots all was quite I hollered are U done did U get him...no answer!!! so we stood up and saw the other " hunter " running away from us I hollered again he ran for a bout 50yds more in the opposite direction and then stopped and started back towards us...I asked again did U get him and he said oh yes but I'm just waiting for him to die......I'm out of ammo!!!!! So we went back to the elk ...that he was running away from..and I saw that he had gutshot him so I shot him in the head as he was still trying to get up as we approached ...I asked the idiot if he had heard us yelling but he said no and I replied that he had come very close to killing us and all he could do was giggle and say sorry about that!!! what a moron!!! we later found out hunters over a mile away heard us screaming don't shoot!!!!! What really bothers me the most is it has pretty much soured my daughter towards hunting!!!

the pic is of the elk I got the next day
Attached Thumbnails Just curious-nov09-016.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

perhaps "bowhunting elk" is the answer!

no excuse for bad/poor hunting by others though. perhaps they were old and never took a hunter safety course, not sure it would help their case, but perhaps?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Spike

Sorry about your experience finnbear, that sounds awful. Although I can sort of believe it, thats why I hunt with the bow and in areas that most sane people wouldn't. Hope you can salvage the huntress in your daughter.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a bad situation for sure, BUT I gotta ask, what the heck kind of gun was the other "shooter" using that held 15 rds. of ammo.?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Howler
Sounds like a bad situation for sure, BUT I gotta ask, what the heck kind of gun was the other "shooter" using that held 15 rds. of ammo.?
It was a semi auto ...I think it was a winchester ...I din't ask
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Man, that story brought back a bad memory for me.

I had my son sitting close to me, opening day of ny gun season. An hour before dark I hear a shot ring out down below followed by a funny sound. I said get ready, I should have said "get behind the tree". Anyways, the shots rang out and were hitting all around us, some just a few yards away. I was yelling and whistleing but the shots kept coming. I believe it was a semi pistol, to many shots at once to be anything less. We bothe ducked behind trees and waited for the shooting to stop. To this day it was the scariest 5 minutes in my life. They were only 100 yards away so I knew they heard me. I contemplated firing off a couple of rounds but never did.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
High stress hunting ? The pressure to "get one" possibly ?

Sounds like alot of desperation to me. I don't want to kill anything bad enough that I can't take a little time and relax.

I did watch a deer hunter this year take 14 shots at a doe mule deer. I believe he killed on shot 12 or 13...not that it mattered. He was using a Remington pump rifle, 7600/760 I believe.

TR - see ya the 6th ?