Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk Hunting the Routt National Forest >

Elk Hunting the Routt National Forest

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting the Routt National Forest

Old 01-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Spike

Default Elk Hunting the Routt National Forest

I am considering a do it yourself elk archery hunt in the Routt National forest NW of Craig, Colorado? I am considering renting a log cabin at Elkhead Mountain Lodge. Has anyone archery hunted elk in the area? How was your hunt? What kind of numbers did you see? I heard it was a good area?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 PM
khh
Spike

I hunted up there in the mid 90's . We did OK I shot 1 cow elk and passed on some others , my hunting partner missed a bull in the black timber . I saw 22 elk the first year 6 were bulls 2 were legal I just couldn't close the deal on them. The 2nd time I went there weren't many elk around , a rancher near by was using horse's and dogs to run the Elk down onto his ranch because he had hunters coming in. At least that's what I was told . I heard later on he got in some trouble for it. We didn't see many Elk that year and I shot a cow elk on the 2nd day. We only hunted 3 days that year because of heavy rain. We did see a lot of Mule Deer both times I was there and some pretty nice bucks . I didn't shoot any but a couple of the guys I hunted with did. Good luck KH