Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk and the full moon

Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

the elk aren't going to be sleeping much during the rut. if they have a harem then they are going to be herding them 24-7. they're gonna be screaming, rutting, fighting 24-7 trying to keep the cows. as said above your guide should be able to put on quite a few bulls unless you shoot the first one you see. i wouldn't worry about the moon but would go out and get in the midst of them and have fun, enjoy the scenery and shoot the one you want or the next one...
Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

My hunting experience is limited but I would take no moon over a full moon anyday.

Here is what I experienced. Full Moon - Couldn't sleep because we heard elk bugle all night and at 4:00AM they would stop. Never could find or hear one during daylight.

No moon - Bugleing during the 1st hour of daylight and were moving around during the day. I'm sure others may have had the exact oposite experience but that has been mine so far.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
My hunting experience is limited but I would take no moon over a full moon anyday.

Here is what I experienced. Full Moon - Couldn't sleep because we heard elk bugle all night and at 4:00AM they would stop. Never could find or hear one during daylight.

No moon - Bugleing during the 1st hour of daylight and were moving around during the day. I'm sure others may have had the exact oposite experience but that has been mine so far.
Your experience may be limited but that's as simple as it gets in explaining it and right on the money. There may be odd situations where it doesn't work that way but every full moon I've seen during the rut goes just like your experience.