Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 06-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Caliber for Moose?

Well if its a Grand Slam, consider me versed. Blew one up on a lope rib last Septimber. Nobody needs to be totin' a 125 grain anythin' after a moose if they got the wherewithall to buy a proper moose rifle. Now I use a 30' 06. Don' t mean I' d recomend it on a public site full of greenhorns. I also roll my own an' know what my loads are capable of. I got 5 times the amount of time to kill than mos' non-residents, so I ain' t apt to pop off outta desperation. Be responsible, keep that puny caliber, " shot placement" crap off these sites. Hunt with what you want, but don' t tout things brought on by yer own ego. There' s more impotent things at work. If a man can shoot decent, he should use a minimal ' 06 with a good 180 movin' 2700 fps. If he cain' t shoot decent, he should stay home. A 7mm 175 is in the range I mentioned. With thet sexual density an' a good bullet, it is definitely as good as a 180 partition from an' ' 06.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:06 PM
nub

BJ: I' m talking about 125 gr. moving 265 fps. No, I didn' t forget a zero on the end of that 265. And " shot placement" is not crap. Its everything.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Beaver, the 125 grain G-5 is a broad head. Awesome head if your into archery.

Don' t just assume that everyone here is a green horn. I am more apt to reccomend to a green horn that is on his first moose or elk hunt to use the same 7mm-08 or 270 or 308 or what ever that he uses whitetail hunting (within reason)because that person most likley knows that rifle and knows where the bullet is going when the trigger is pulled. The last thing I would want to be thinking about when that big a$$ animal steps into view for the first time is what that new rifle is going to do because I have only had it for two months. There is enough to think about on that first elk or moose hunt. Fact is, if it is a risky shot then you shoudn' t take it no matter what cartrige you are shooting. It aint going to do you or the animal any good.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-16-2003, 05:55 AM

Thats the best part about the net, we could be having this debate and Beaver Jack could be sitting in NYC and never have seen the wet side of a black spruce bog. I know he writes well but can`t comment on his shooting because I`ve never witnessed it. All this talk of greenhorns and stuff post some Moose pics Beaver and I`ll tell you what I`ll have bgunner post some of the dozens of pics of the moose they have shot over the years.Maybe we`ll get to seperate those that talk from those that do.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Bowhunters get close. Undergunned rifle hunters wound animals. Shot placement is a misnomer. You cain' t " place" a shot unner 99% of field conditions. You AIM for the middle of the kill zone presented. Packin' a puny cartridge with hopes of usin' a bipod to pick out a moose' s heart is bullspit. Huffin' up a hillside to be presented a 100 yard quarterin' away shot with a movin' animal, fadin' light and a 20 mph wind is more likely. Nub, what the hell you bringin' bowhuntin' into a rifle topic? Sounded to me like you was fixin' to tout the merits of a 25-06 spittin' Grand Slams for moose. Different tactics, differnt levels of competence with the weapon. Got no bearin' on what rifle somebody totes after the king. Besides bein' able to get in range, mos' bowhunters I' ve knowed can acutally read sign an' hit what they aim at 80% of the time. Ain' t so with rifle hunters. The popularity of big scopes an' 500 yard topics on these sites shows you that! Now go shave. Everthin' I said still goes for the " .243 is fine for moose crowd" .

Turk, another good thing ' bout the net is a feller in NYC with no experience whatsoever may git to talk to the real deal an' actually be smart enuff to listen. It ain' t likely, but it could happen.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:07 AM
nub

Nub, what the hell you bringin' bowhuntin' into a rifle topic?
Like I said BJ, stick around another 18 months and you might be able to seperate those " Green Horns" from those just messing with your mind.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:09 AM

If I had my choice for a moose rifle, I' d take a Winchester M70 in 300WSM, but thats in a perfect world......anyway. The 30-30 has probally taken more game than any other caliber, and even today with some of the 220 grain hotloads it will crumple a moose. I would take the 7-08 if your shots will be over 75 yards, like in Colorado, even then, I wouldnt shoot past 150.

Matt =----------->
Old 06-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-16-2003, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at all the moose hunters in the Scandinavian countries who wack them with 6.5x55' s that should be all one needs to know. I am assuming the conditions in those countries are similiar to what one would find in Northern Maine or parts of Canada maybe a bit colder. Who cares about energy when your shot may be 50 yards to maybe 150 yards. They also put on Moose drives in those countries so the Moose are pumped full of adrenalin. It makes the killing power of those smaller calibers that more impressive.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.