Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose hunting

Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default moose hunting

i was worndering if any one knows of a place i could go moose hunting and how much does it run or is there public land i could do such a thing thanks for your help
Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

province of quebec in canada . google moose hunting in quebec

Last edited by heinz57; 01-21-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by diamondjustice
i was worndering if any one knows of a place i could go moose hunting and how much does it run or is there public land i could do such a thing thanks for your help
The only state that has over the counter tags is Alaska. For a non-resident you'll easily spend $3k for transportation to and from AK, licenses/tags, and ground transportation. Throw in an air taxi to a decent hunting locale, fees for shipping meat, and extras such as raft rental and you can easily run $5k+ for a DIY hunt. Other states may be cheaper, but you'll have to put in for a drawing permit to hunt. Moose hunting isn't easy on the bank or the back.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Spike

Check out Newfoundland. You have to go guided but they are great people. Hunt is reasonable in price but the bulls have smaller horns.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maine if you are lucky enough to draw a tag.. No guide required and lots of public land from paper companies to hunt on. The problem is drawing a tag you have to be lucky.. Also I know some that have gone to N.H. for moose hunting as well.. Same idea though you have to be able to draw a tag to get to hunt for them.. I am not sure about the amount of land available but there is enough folks on here from N.H. to help you out on that issue..
Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Quebec and Ontario both have non-resident moose hunts. New Brunswick has a season too, but it is very short, and you usually need preference points. Newfoundland and Labrador both have very good populations, and over the counter tickets for non - residents. Are you planning to try this yourself or with a guide? These are huge critters, and you are sometimes required to bring them out intact. Even if not, it is possible for an entire carcass to go bad before you are able to get it out, if not prepared.
An outfitter in NewFoundland I have contacted several times that offers great hunts and is highly recommended is Patey and Sons, Ltd. One of these days....
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Spike

I agree on Newfoundland. I have been there a few times and have taken folks to Newfoundland. Success on Mosse is 100% for the most part and if you get a good guide who isn't afraid to go back in you can get a 50" + moose. Most of thenm are going to be 40" or less but there are many good mosse in Newfoundland.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Spike

In all jurisdictions in Canada you need a guide to hunt big game. Every Province and Territory has a Guide/Outfitters association with a website and tags are over-the-counter! For the most part it costs about the same as a DIY Alaska moose hunt and sucess is very high. If you want to go sooner than later then maybe this would be the way to go!! Food for thought and good luck no matter what you decide!!