Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose question

Old 11-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Spike

Default Moose question

Ok this is gonna seem like a really stupid question to most of you guys. I have never hunted in a state that I wasn't able to drive too. I'm thinking of going on a moose hunt in alaska. My nephew lives there and has been trying to get me to come for sometime now. Just trying to get some details worked out.
If I do get lucky enough to kill something how do I get it back to Oklahoma??? I have been told fly it home and ship it home. Does anyone know about how much that would cost? I'm just talking antlers and cape. I figure the meat could be processed and froze at their house until they come back (they sometimes drive). Or til the next time I visit. Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I hunted AK. a few years ago, I had my meat processed in Anchorage and then shipped to Denver International, where I went and picked it up. It was shipped in freezer boxes and for the most part, it was all still frozen when I got it to my house. Cost about $.90/pound to ship. I only kept 250#'s of my 650#'s of meat. The rest I left with my BIL and sister in Anchorage, and what they didn't take, the outfitter got the rest.
I ended up selling my cape to the taxidermist in Anchorage and had a Euro. mount done with my moose because I simply don't have the room for a 65" moose shoulder mount in my house. The cape paid for the euro. to be done. The shipping to my work place for the euro. was about $300. That cost would've been much higher had it been a shoulder mount. I opted to keep the antlers in tact, but they can make the antlers detachable for cheaper shipping, PLUS if you get a large moose and go with a shoulder mount, you better have french doors to get them through IF you don't have the antlers detachable.