Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
My friends Moose spoiled In a day???? >

My friends Moose spoiled In a day????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My friends Moose spoiled In a day????

Old 10-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

have shot a few moose and have left them in the bush overnight with no problem ..if he opened it up and removed everything he should not have lost any meat ..something tells me he found a dead moose that somebody shot and did not recover ...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

hang on a second here...you said they didnt do a good job cleanin it....but the next mornin the liver had streaks....sounds like it wasnt gutted at all...duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

peppering a carcass? do discuss
Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowfly... In areas where it's not always possible to get a carcass to a processor/cooler promptly, one method of keeping the blowflies off the meat is to sprinkle it liberally with black pepper..

Some hunters refine this process by soaking thier meat bags in a hot pepper brine ( such as cayenne) prior to the hunt..

I have never tried it myself, so I cannot attest to it's effectivness.. I always had good luck by promptly skinning, quartering, bagging, and hanging meat in the shade...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

It can spoil that quickly. As stated above, on an animal that size, get it dressed, quartered, skinned, and hung so the air can circulate. I had a friend kill and elk up the Snake river canyon a few years ago. He did a good job field dressing it. It was cool when he left it with some rain. By morning there were several inches of snow so the air was cool. We hiked up and started boning it out to pack. This is getting unto 12 hours after the animal died. The meat around the hip joints was still fairly hot. The meat on that animal turned out okay, but you want to get meat cooled all the way through or you risk souring.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by heinz57
have shot a few moose and have left them in the bush overnight with no problem ..if he opened it up and removed everything he should not have lost any meat ..something tells me he found a dead moose that somebody shot and did not recover ...
As stated he didn't do a very good job at dressing it. He never really stated exactly what was left in it. Also if the hinds were not open up by using a stick or a tree to put a hind leg around no air can get to them to cool it. Then letting it hang all day in 60-65 degree temps is way to hot for it to hang like that. IMO even if it was skinned out while it hanged it would still be to warm and should of been taken care of. Some have started rotting here just by sitting at a tagging station letting people admire it..

I had a freind that shot 1 this year that fell in the water and had to get it with canoes. They even had to dress it out in the water. He shot it a 5:00pm and did not get home with it until 2:30am and the moose was still full of body heat even after that excersion..

But whether he had found one or not I can not say for sure. What I will say though is that he should of taken care of it better if it was a good moose..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-22-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

They screwed up and lost a freezer full of meat!

If they had used the gutless method, they would not have lost any meat and it doesn't take hardly any more time than gutting it.

Do a search and send them a link to the gutless method.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with take pictures, gut it, skin it, quarter it, and then hang it. I belive if they had done that right away it wouldn't have spoiled.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Spike

Yep, so true!
Ever see that guy who shot a HUGE bear, loaded it up in his truck for braggin rights at the local Tavern without skinning it? The meat's wasted. Elk, Buffalo, Bear, Hog, Moose - all the same. Clean it! Skin It! Bone it if possible, cool it down & keep it dry!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Spike

Default Whats This?

Originally Posted by bowfly
peppering a carcass? do discuss
Never heard anyone doing this..
Whats the idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.