Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is there a trend here?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Fork Horn

In my experience with outfitters it seems that they don't expect everyone to kill something.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Without countenancing what the outfitters have done in these cases, I guess "caveat emptor" -- let the buyer beware -- comes to mind. Maybe avoid hunting with the outfitters that advertize on TV. Call several of the outfitter's references. And finally . . . sometimes you are just going to get screwed on an outfitted hunt. I have read enough stories about this that it sounds like a significant number of outfitter hunts -- probably more than 5% maybe more than 10% -- end up having something that fell significantly short of reasonable expectations. It isn't a perfect world. If you DIY sometimes things don't go according to expectations and things suck, too.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Huntingson,

I hunted a unit this year I knew nothing about and had never even been around the area. Similar to coming from out of state you could say (5-1/2 hour drive for me). I had no clue where to start other than buying the forest service map and studying google earth. This is a general elk hunting area and I am convinced anyone can do this. I understand the legal issues with a guide in certain states. Wyoming requires a guide for wilderness area hunts as well. I started a new job and have little vacation so I could not scout at all either. The first day we found elk, the second day we found a ton of elk. Just couldn't make it happen for an archery shot.

There is no better way to learn than to just get out and try it.
Sure, anyone can do anything. But I personally do not know too many that has time on thier hands like that. Family and keeping gainfully employed kinds sucks it up. I mean if you have so much time on your hands, I think its cool you can do that.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure I'll ever do a guided hunt. I much prefer DIY. HOWEVER, if you don't live out west you need to realize the difference. 5 1/2 hr drive for you? Big deal. It was 28 hours for me last year. Didn't know the area? Well, try not knowing the STATE. I'm sure you were familiar with the general terrain and layout of the area.

My first elk hunt last year, the only reason I knew where I could get in and park and how to get to where the elk were was having the help of a kindly local who was the friend of a coworker. There were ZERO non-locals out there because anyone not local cannot find the way in there simply looking at a map.

Even DIY, I have closing in on $2000 into a hunt every time I go -- expensive out-of-state licenses, rental truck, gear to transport meat, gas, etc etc. Hunting is not just about killing but to blow most of a year's vacation to go out there with nothing more than internet research, only to get lost or find restricted access, over-hunted etc etc....no wonder some people want a little better odds. I'd like to go archery too but I'm sticking with rifle until I've satisfied my need to have good odds at an elk enough to take the lower odds on archery.

I'd love to apply in more states, but the work required is phenomonal to do all the research to get it right.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hardly no time at all either. That was a weekend hunt that I took one day off of work.

Spaniel,

28 hours, a rental truck and driving? Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly with gas prices? I have never had to fly with a rifle but I am sure it would be much less and less time.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 AM
bigcountry

28 hours, a rental truck and driving? Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly with gas prices? I have never had to fly with a rifle but I am sure it would be much less and less time.

Good to see your starting to understand why some use outfitters now.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Outfitters have different levels of helping people out in the business. You have your beginner elk hunters that want to learn the basics and then start out on their own after one or two trips. Then you have the rich clientele that can afford 7,500.00 to 10,000.00 dollar elk hunts. Most guys that talk on this site regularly are experienced hunters and have no need for outfitters. So I see your points of not needed and DIY. But it takes a well rounded hunter just to pop into elk country get into the elk and have a successful hunt on a DYI hunt. Most times you get lucky when that happens. Outfitters that hunt on public land and kill elk get lucky too. Even though the know where the elk are you have to compete with early scouters that go in and move them around before season starts. Sure scouting for the hunters in new country is wise but you sure do mess up someone else s first morning tactics. After that happens the men that live in that country will know where the elk went for the next sanctuary until they are busted again. The benefits to using an outfitter is he will know all of these places and not have to sit and wonder where the elk went.

I would be very worried booking an elk hunt and spending my hard earned money to have a hunt go bad. It's a shame it happens.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hardly no time at all either. That was a weekend hunt that I took one day off of work.

Spaniel,

Cheaper? Possibly. But since my origin airport is not a hub, and the desination airport is tiny, tickets are more expensive than usual.

Biggest deal is, with the way airlines run now, the likelihood of having a flight missed/delayed/canceled is about 20-40%. Given there may only be 1-2 flights a day to the destination airport, that could mean missing a whole day of the trip....if outbound flights are booked it can be hard to get rebooked on a flight and may cost a second day!!! And what happens if they lose your rifle or any of your gear on a backpacking trip?

I consider it much less stressful to drive. I control everything, and I'd still need to rent a 4X4 and drive 5-6 hours once I landed anyways.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I have seen this attitude from outfitters toward the common Joe schmo hunter. Worse yet here are some other things to watch out for with outfitters:

Get stuck in camp with repeat hunters that come and hunt every year with the outfitter (you will be taking a back seat to them)

Last one to arrive in camp and getting stuck with the only guide left (usually bottom of the barrel guide)

Over crowded situations from stand locations to sleeping quarters.

Guides that promise private land only to take you on public land.

But it is your responsibilities to ask these questions before booking.

Not all are like this though but the ones that have been at it awhile tend to get like everyone else in the service orientated field and become desensitized to the things they are doing wrong.

I have been going unguided to different parts of Wyo the last couple of years. Mostly miles in the back country where I have spent literally hours looking at sat. images, topo maps, calling the local wildlife offices and sometimes even the forest services asking questions. It takes allot just to know where your going let alone trying to be successfully in a hunt. Some people love the planing as well as the hunt too. Others just wouldn't know where to start or don't have the time. I invite some acquaintances out with me every year and all I hear is "so who's guiding you"? and a guided hunt is to much money ect ect ect then when I explain that you just save, plan, hunt and that the cost depending on tag availability\cost and gas prices it could be a $1000 or less depending on how many hunters go to split the cost. They just look at you like you are nuts going 2000+ miles away without a guide! I just don't get it???????

Last edited by NJheadhunter71; 10-03-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

Well, I just got back last nite from guiding for an outfitter, so obviously I am a little biased. I used to think like Wheatly quit frankly, but I have changed my mind. We have several healthy hunters, but also hunters with medical conditions and age issues, who could never make this kind of hunt w/o an outfitter and guide to help them along. Some with medical conditions just shouldn't be on the mountain alone. Here in Montana all guides are certified CPR/wilderness first aid etc. We sit down at the hunt and have clients tell us where and how to give shots if they have a siezure etc. For other folks it isn't about the animal but the fellowship. We have a group of old army buddies coming into camp for rifle season, they see each other once a year, every year at camp. They are there for the food, drink, and fellowship of elk camp. Other folks have never seen an elk outside of a video on TV, they would stand almost no chance of getting into animals. Others just want a classic back country horse camp hunt. As a guide I work very hard for my clients, as does the outfitter, it is an honest show with no guarantee expressed or implied. Having said all this, about 1/3 of our hunters are nothing but problems. They blame everything on everybody and simply are not willing to do the work to get in front of a nice bull. I have learned a lot about hunters being a guide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.