Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling Black Bears

Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default Calling Black Bears

I could use some advise on calling in a bear. I have never had the desire to shoot a bear and still don't.

I invited the 15yo son of a friend hunter to join us on an elk hunt. I let his son know that if he trained and practiced he was not only welcome but he would get plenty of opportunities at some big elk...He started training in Jan and was truly pumped about the trip.

Last Friday night he broke his leg in a football game. I still think he might get a chance at a lesser elk but I believe the chance of a bear is much higher. I'm capable of carrying him 1/2 mile into some good bear country but not elk country.

Local critters include...rabbits, porcupines, squirrels, coyotes, bobcats, field mice, blue grouse, and coons...no scents or baiting is allowed.

I called in more than my fair share of varmints with a wounded rabbit call and have played with a few bears using a elk reed making similar sounds.......any calls that consistently works for you? I want to make this trip memorable for him so he will keep coming back. thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Spike

First off I think that it is great that you are still trying to get him out there and enjoy the outdoors and show him the ropes, but unfortunately I got no advice to help with the Bear wish I did best of luck to you.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

i have shot a few but never called them to my tree stand ..i would not advise anybody to call them on a ground level ,u would be food to them ,they can sneek up to u from behind and u would never know that they are there ..
Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

a bears nose is the easiest way to get him where you want him, i could send you one of my trash cans. the bears here just love to roll them around and make a mess. never tryed calling one in.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

When you stated calling in elk that one would show up from time to time. Reminded me of my uncle when he used to call moose in a bear would show up from time to time as well. So perhaps there maybe something to that I do not know. But if one checks it out perhaps that is about the only way to get one to come near.. Good luck anyways on what you decide ansd I hope your son gets a chance to shoot one..
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Spike

Thanks for everyones help...by chance my father put in in touch with an old hunting partner that moved to the mountains many years ago....He is 100% for calling in bears and gave me plenty of advise....amazingly he thanked me for teaching him to call some twenty plus years ago...

Bear calling is his little secret and he doesn't want his technique expose,,,but he gave me one warning that I'll share with everyone...Twice he has had bears come in that wouldn't leave with several bluff charges even after firing warning shots with a big bore.
The last one terrified him soooo much he quit hunting for two years.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

I will be trying to call one in myself this year. In Pa we are notorious for bear drives where anything black running is getting shot at. It's definitely an effective method but I'd rather try to fool the bear into coming to me. Any distressed animal sounds such as a rabbit or maybe better yet a wounded fawn cry may lure a bear in to investigate. I'll let you know how I make out. Also I think what you are doing for the kid is great, I wish you luck!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

forget the calling advice, carrying him in with a broken leg and calling a bear is nuts.. not to mention the cats coming in on you as well
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I commend your for being willing to get him in, it's not very wise to take the young man out while he is not able to get around.