Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I tried calling a moose... >

I tried calling a moose...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I tried calling a moose...

Old 09-20-2009, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default I tried calling a moose...

As most know I will be moose hunting this year.. So on my way home from work I decided to try my luck at calling in a moose. I tried for a while and waited around 15 minutes and tried again. It was soon after that I heard one grunting back at me. Then all I could hear was him thrashing the bushes around. I couldn't get to see him. So I looked for a stick and beat the bushes with it until the stick broke. The moose started grunting at me again so I tried calling. After a little while he came wandering out where I could see him. I tried to get a couple of pics to share but they came out somewhat blurried. I am going to try and post a pic of him for you all to see..

Here is another pic of the same moose.. Do you think he is a shooter? I hope he will show himself in october for me..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-23-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

he has a 48 inch + rack ...i would nail him without any second thought ..good luck on ur oct. hunt.. i will also hunt moose the 10 of october..
Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

I would say he is a shooter!!!! Good Luck!!
When is your Maine season??
Our Quebec season in my zone starts on Oct 17...
Old 09-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys !!! and good luck to both of you as well..
My season starts on Oct. 12th for a 6 day hunt..
The first season ( not mine) starts on next Monday ( Sept. 23rd ) here..
Actually any bull moose will be a shooter for me! I was
surpized by him showing up there as I have been watching
a smaller one in the area. That one had decent headgear as well,
but never had much in the line of paddles as they were very narrow.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-22-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

my uncles goin moose hunting in minnesota
the season is oct. 3rd to the 18th(of october)
Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Using the 10" between the eyes rule I'd guess him to be in the low 40's. Not bad for an eastern Canada bull. I'd presume the moose rut there is still probably a few weeks away down there. Even clear up here in Alaska it's still about another week before it really kicks off big time. If you really want some good moose hunting pointers get a copy of the movie "Love, Thunder, and Bull 2" and get one of the "Bull Magnet" fiberglass megaphones. Bull magnets are great for calling, thrashing, and listening for any approach or response.

AK Jeff
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the pointers! Although it would be a little late for me to get any of that right now. Also the fact I have been applying for a permit for over 25 years to get one. I can not apply again for myself for at least 2 more years now but can be a sub permitee..

I'd presume the moose rut there is still probably a few weeks away down there. Even clear up here in Alaska it's still about another week before it really kicks off big time.
Moose here are already starting the rut right now and will be in full swing next week as well. They will be pretty well out of the rut during the October hunt and will prove difficult to call. Add that with all the bird hunters riding the back roads and all just makes it a little harder.. But the moose should be wandering pretty good by then.

The size of the rack he is carrying I can't say for sure except it is quite large as well as the moose for these parts. I do realize the moose up in your neck of the woods are much larger as a rule. We still get some topping the 1000lb mark none the less.. The one in the photo I am guessing to be around or close to 900lbs.. Just a guess as well and hopefully I can find out for sure during my hunt or someone gets him earlier during this weeks hunt..
Take care, Phil
Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

shooter for sure!!!
i'd put him in low to mid 40s... not that I am an expert.
Good luck... it is intense calling them in like that ... gotta love it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Phil! I'll bet your all pumped up for that hunt.

Hope you got a couple lined up for your hunt date.

Get those cotton balls soaked with moose pi$$ and get ready. LOL

Good luck man!

Keep us informed on what's going on.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

im down here and texas and suppose to go up to alaska next year for a moose hunt. i heard its hard hunting up there and im stoked! good job callling him in! thats got to be exciting having an animal that large coming in to you! good luck! hope to see some pics after the shot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.