Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Deterent

Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bear Deterent

I thought maybe I might need to take some bear spray on our elk hunt in SW CO next week. Is this common practice in this area, and if so what brand/type do you recommend. I found DAP for $30.00 or another brand in sportsman's guide for $15.00 but the later was referenced as home or personal defense recommended by law enforcement. Would this be the same and adequately effective against bear. Thanks for your comments.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Are you going bow hunting? Or firearm? I bought mine from cabelas the "bear spray" was 65 dollars its a big canister. I carried it bow hunting black bear. Lol my wife made me. I roll without it. My pack is heavy enuf. But if it makes u comfortable. By all means its worth the money.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you will need it for that area. You will probably never see a bear out there, and if you do they usually don't stick around long enough to do anything.

If you were in Grizzly country that would be a different story.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wheatley

If you were in Grizzly country that would be a different story.
How far south of Yellowstone will you find grizzlys?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is some information on them. I have read some articles that have them as far south as Pinedale/Lander area.

http://www.grizzlybear.org/education/index.php?cmd=ifws
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah the Black Bears around this part of the country only come after you when you're sleeping in your tent. Just keep a knife under your pillow and call it good. They'll never bother you when you're upright and have a chance to spray em.

Ok that lat paragraph was a little tongue in cheek but the only times you hear of a black bear attack is when someone has food items or odors coming from their tent and black bear grabs someones foot and drags them off.

Keep any food odors far away from your tent, i.e. hang your garbage in a tree 100 yds from camp and you'll be fine.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 09-10-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the responses. I did see a black bear 2years ago when returning to the site of my elk kill. But it didn't show while we were there at the kill site. I'll probably get the $15.00 spray i mentioned just for peace of mind. We will be bow hunting pretty far in the wilderness. Oh, and it is my mom that is kinda making a fus about it.
Thanks again.