Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Airports and Firearms

Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Spike

Here is my 2 cents worth and a story about TSA in Cleveland.

I was coming back from Canada from my caribou hunt and got to Cleveland and low and behold there was a hurricane in Houston.

After 3 days stuck, finally got a flt back home and had to recheck my rifle case. Dont know how it happened but orig when I got to canada one of the 2 locks on my rifle case was competely missing???? Oh well, at least I had enough foresight to put 2 on the case..

I checked my rifle..signed paper..and was good and handed rifle case to tsa with my luggage..while waiting for my flt I noticed the gate agent walking around looking for someone...They made their way over to me and said tsa wants to see you.

I went with them and tsa says we need you to Re-lock your rifle case, do you have a lock? I said where is the one I had on it???

They said we saw something on xray we had to check and we cut it off. I said --I dont have anymore..its your deal..you cut it off so put another one back on!

They said not our problem and we cant take this gun till you put lock on it, and handed back my case.

Gate agent says come with me...we go to counter and he says do you still want to check this gun?? I sid of course..he goes well you need a lock..I said do they sell any around here??

He goes only locks available are in stores past tsa security. I said can you watch my gun while i go buy one...He said absolutely not...your problem...not mine, good luck with your flight, and walked away.

Lucky for me, a hard working maint. guy from the airport walk up to me and goes..here buddy I got an extra lock on my tool box..take it.

I pulled out some cash and gave it to him, he refused but I insisted and said many thanks.

I then tracked down gate agent got it re-checked..locked and on my flt home.

MORAL OF STORY: put 2 locks on your rifle case and carry extra locks in your carry on, also get yourself an americase rifle case( thats a story for another day) at americase.com--I promise you, YOU won't be sorry.

Good luck with your trip and happy hunting

Last edited by gowkout; 09-03-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

If this is an important hunt to you..................ship it !!!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Spike

I have been on several trips to canada with no problem, except for one-----I have found that taking you bolt out of the gun does wonders, they open up the case, see the bolt out, insert tag stating unloaded----friends of mine decided to leave the bolt in, their rifles was inspected througly (at TSA liesure).I also put boxes of bullets in my hunting boots with my luggage---saves room and no bullets near the gun. the one problem I had was the return trip from canada, the TSA agent wanted to see a bill of sale for my rifle----after a half hour of debating-told him that this was never stated anywhere on websites -I showed him my gun permit---finally he said fine-- go---so if you have a bill of sale bring it. Another point, if the customs agents asks how much ammo you are carrying in you luggage, do not lie, even if your over the limit,(that will pi$$ him off) they know the answer (x-ray)anyway.----and as a side note---if you are traveling with buddies--swap one of your rifles in your case with a friends--in case your gun case doesnt show up at least you will have one of your rifles in you buddies case to use.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Spike

crenshaw speeks the truth about a good case. I flew back from Alaska this past Saturday with my gun and case in good condition. Previously i had spend little money on airline approved guncases and each time the cases were destroyed. Thankfully the weapons were not damaged. You spent the money for the hunt, now spend the money to protect your weapon. I bought an SKB double rifle case for $200 and was well pleased. I always had put my ammo and knives in my checked-in luggage.