Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best Handgun for Grizzly protection??? >

Best Handgun for Grizzly protection???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Handgun for Grizzly protection???

Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Spike

Default Best Handgun for Grizzly protection???

what type of handgun would be best for fending off a hungry grizzly

hope not to need it but what if???
Old 08-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are specifically buying a handgun for grizzly defense, you'd want a .50 S&W, .460 S&W, .454 Casull or a .44Mag. Basically, as much firepower as you can accurately shoot. Power means squat if you can't hit the broad side of a bear.

Otherwise, carry whatever you have. I carried my .40S&W Glock 23 last year, and will again this year. The local guy I was with had a .357Mag.

Basically, a grizz will usually not screw with you unless you surprise it. We had people seeing them all around us, we made a good amount of noise whenever walking in the dark or daylight when we didn't expect to see game and never saw them -- they move off when they hear you.

If one really wants you, no handgun will really be enough, but any handgun is better than your fingernails.

Last edited by spaniel; 08-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

.480 Ruger

Anything from .44mag to .500S&W would be acceptable...

add bear spray to the mix...
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Spike

got the bear spray i took a 44 ruger last year but wow after about the 3rd day it weighed as much as a rifle i was looking at trading a sig 9mm that i dont use for a 45 auto not as big as the 44 but easier to carry heard alot about a 357 mag just would like to have something resonably easy to carry
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

The best bear protection is get faster shoes then your buddy...
Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

My question is a little sideways of this thread, but some people with bear knowledge are posting, it seems, and I want their opinion.

I went backpacking in the Weminuche Wilderness area in SW Colorado last August. This area is known to have some -- not many -- black bears and not likely any grizzly bears (although South San Juan Wilderness maybe 50 miles ESE of the Weminuche IS suspected to have a small population of grizzly bears). One evening at camp at about 11,000 feet, in a fairly remote and isolated area, a deer came up remarkably close to us, so close I wondered if the deer was sick. In the night, we heard noises -- loud sniffing and/or snorting noises -- near our tent and we went out and looked around with our flashlights. We saw a bunch of eyes blazing back at us, at about the height you would expect from several deer. One loud sniffing noise was right at our tent door.

The next morning when I got out I saw a substantial smear of blood -- still wet to the touch -- on the outside of the tent. The size of this smear was maybe 3" by 4". I had a bad blister on the heel of my foot. I had gotten up in the night to pee. It is possible that my heel could have been bleeding and could have rubbed against the tent wall but (1) I would be surprised that my heel was bleeding enough to make that large a patch on the tent wall, (2) I got up at 2 AM and the blood was still not dry at 7 AM (could have been some ground fog or mist at night, possibly).

What do you think? I speculate that some predator made a kill and came sniffing around our tent. Maybe a bear killed a deer and afterwards checked us out? At the same time, our packs were outside the tent with packaged food in them (including a garbage bag with an empty, opened foil pouch of smoked salmon), some rodent gnawed through my pack bag and ate a smidggin of granola. If a bear had come around, wouldn't it have ripped up the pack?

Comments? Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

lol Elknutz,

I say for grizzly forget all that auto crap and go for something that's got punch. I carry 41 rem mags. But I would suggest something in the 44 mag class and up. Why not a four inch 500 S&W, if the bear don't kill ya the recoil might. I would pick something that might actually make the bear flinch a little. 357 mag is not even in my scheme of things when it comes to bear or any other lil automatics. That's just gonna get you hurt.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Spike

you guys ever think of carrying a flare gun? liek the ones used by boaters? they shoot a 12 gauge flare that burns at like 3000 degrees. the heat, light, and bang might be sufficient. thoughts?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alsatian, from what you describe I doubt that it was black bear around your tent for a couple of reasons. 1) black bears aren't very good at catching full sized deer, fawns yes, but by the time elk season rolls around, those fawns aren't easy game for black bear. 2) onthe other hand, a black bear has a hard time passing up an easy meal, and if it thinks that easy meal is in a plastic bag or back pack, then you can kill the pack and or bag good bye, because they'll rip'em to shreads if they even smell evidence of a meal.
The blood smear, don't know. A broken blister don't usually bleed that much.
As for what ate just bit of the granola bar, mice!! We deal with them every year if you leave anything out, they will find it.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Spike

The flaregun idea might actually work but with my luck id miss the bear he would maybe break a leg for me the flare would get lodged up in a tree set the woods on fire and i would burn to death instead of being eaten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.