Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What would you recommend.... >

What would you recommend....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What would you recommend....

Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 AM

Default What would you recommend....

What rifle/caliber combination would you recommend for this situation???

Check out this film clip at: http://www.weshixon.com/index.html

If you want " full screen" , then right click on the top photo frame and select " full screen" (REMEMBER: If you use " full screen" then you' ll need right click on the image and undo " full screen" when you are done!).

Left click on the image if you want a replay (I have seen anyone who didn' t!!!!).

The audio is a little rough -- just so you know, he says, " Oh My God!!!!"
Remember, a 50 BMG is going to be slow and hard to point.

NEVER Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 05-13-2003, 12:46 AM

Default RE: What would you recommend....

AK47 with a full 50 round magazine! Somehow I doubt that the guy underneath the lion would appreciate that choice.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

OH MY GOD IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

I' m kind of thinking a semi auto 10 gague with magnum 0000 buckshot.
I know one thing I would want a little more than what ever guns they had.

Maybe they can sue the bullet manufacturer and the guides and the booking agent and the airline that got him there for being attacked by that lion.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:49 AM

bigbulls,
3 rifles there --- 3 shots fired before the " take down" --- one miss, one heart lung, one going for the head that was low and broke the lion' s jaw (thankfully). Lion had been wounded earlier -- negative effects of adrenalin -- pursue a wounded lion into tall grass at your own risk.

Hunting gets raised to a new (and more meaningful) level when the game can hunt back!

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 05-13-2003, 09:55 AM

Crap, I nearly left a load in my pants when I saw this the first time.

I' d go with the Marlin 1895 CB lever action in .45/70 Govt. loaded with Barnes 400 gr. bullets.

Al
Old 05-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I initially thought I' d like to have my .45-70 Magnum research " on hand" in hand. I also agree that it wouldn' t hurt a bit to have a Marlin .45-70 1895GS, 5shots with BIG OL' BULLETS and it' s fast/short enough to get pointed when you need it. To shoot it off of someone, I' d probably employ one of these just because when I shot plumb through the cat with my .416rigby, they guy on bottom probably wouldn' t care too much for it, a lead sluggin .45-70 would be less likely to exit (although I probably wouldn' t hunt THAT game with leads).
Old 05-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

negative effects of adrenalin -- pursue a wounded lion into tall grass at your own risk.

Hunting gets raised to a new (and more meaningful) level when the game can hunt back!
Damn straight!!! Better make that first shot count.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:53 PM

big bulls,
Good point about making the first shot count and perhaps it is one of the " morals of the story" in my opinion.

I am used to hunting game that has no choice but to flee in my advance. Hope to get to Alaska for a brownie reasonably soon. There the playing field will change substantially (can hunt back). The lessons I can feasibly take away from that clip are that:

*** If the animal is dangerous and fast and 30 or fewer yards away and you' re using a bolt action rifle.... is you are ONLY going to get ONE shot --- don' t throw it away hoping to reload.

*** Many in the African crowd consider bolt actions to be " trash" just because of the " no fast second shot" as this clip demonstrates; however, at $7,000 to $20,000 for a double rifle -- there will NEVER be one in my gun safe.

*** I agree with many who responded that a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 would be heart warming in that kind of a jackpot and at $500 or so is a great choice for close in, dangerous, game ESPECIALLY big bears -- which from what I hear can close the distance to the hunter just as fast as that lion did. (However, in my case (don' t I wish) it would NOT make the trip to Africa.)

*** In situations like the one in the clip, I think the Taylor Index and the right bullet count a LOT!

BTW, the PH was the one who got mauled -- thank goodness for clients who don' t loose their nerve when things get dicey.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is what I got out of it.

DON' T CHACE A WOUNDED LION INTO TALL GRASS. Unless you are sure it' s going to be dead. I think even with a lever 45-70 a second, accurate, shot would have been real hard to do. That lion came in pretty fast.

I saw a video of a grizzly chace down an elk on a full run. Those bears may look slow but don' t ever believe it.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep a 45-70 lever gun can be pretty cheap esp /when compared to those other expensive big bore rifles.

Heard of some people using 54 cal Bp rifles with long heavy conicals for lions ... worked pretty good i guess too , id sure have a back up / big bore handgun handy too i think.[]

sure those bears are slow like those buffalos are

le hairy cow moves so fast thought the frenchmen and his tourist wife, as she flew 35 feet into the air with a large gored a ..... just missing the scaling bubbling hot mud pot.