Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

backpacking for game?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

This one ain't half bad either.... Actually really similar construction to the Cabela's pack, and a bit cheaper....

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...06000_425-6-10
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ColoradoElk
Hello there Hurricane. I have never seen trees that large at 11,500 feet in Colorado. What unit is that?
Unit 751 in the Weminuche Wilderness.
Here is a pic of one of the places we walked in (thats my Dad), and it is freezing! Sorry for the blurriness.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ColoradoElk
Hello there Hurricane. I have never seen trees that large at 11,500 feet in Colorado. What unit is that?
My picture was taken at about 11,000 on the way down to the landing which was at around 9000. The trees were about head height and in our area the tree line was about 12K
Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Hurricane, I have hunted close to you in San Juan forest, unit 77. Beautiful area. Are these packs being discussed able to carry bows or are they for firearms only? Planning a mid september archery hunt this fall.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice pic CI!

I like thse 2 orange hats around the horns...

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I use the same pack and find it more than adequate to deal with any gear needed for the hunt. The pack easily removes from the frame and has straps to use without the frame. I have used the frame to help pack out 7 elk in the past 3 years. The built in straps and that shelf offer great support and security for a bag of meat or a whole quarter. The orange outer shell that can be pulled over the load is a nice safety feature.
Don't draw the short straw to pack out the head and rack. It was hell getting that through the dark timber and the weight was top heavy for all 5 miles we had to pack out from 11,500 feet.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Spike

Hi all, this is my first post in here.

This is fascinating and sounds like a fantastic way to hunt. How do you guys get the game out and how many of you go it alone?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
nice pic CI!

I like thse 2 orange hats around the horns...
I tried to carry the head and rack pointing down but couldn't get over all the blowdowns and scrub trees so I had to lug them pointed up. It was rifle season and I didn't want to he the bearer of a rack without some orange for safety sake.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Junglecarbin
Hi all, this is my first post in here.

This is fascinating and sounds like a fantastic way to hunt. How do you guys get the game out and how many of you go it alone?
We quarter them and or bone them and carry on pack frames. I wouldn't hunt alone for safety sake and the fact that it would take me 2 or 3 days to get an animal out alone where I hunted last year. It is tough, steep terrain and one slip can send an overloaded person down a slide or break an ankle. We took 2 bulls last year about 5 miles back at 11,500 feet and the 5 of us packed them out one each day going in at gray light and not getting out until after dark. A pack team would have been great but we didn't have access to one. I can tell you that it was real hard work but 2 of the most fun filled days in the field possible. 2 years before we took 3 in one day and got them all out on the same day but we weren't that far away from the road. I can say that after you get it all out and are back at the truck beer never tasted so good.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I tried the deboning method before and did not care for it. I ended up with mushy bags of meat that were difficult to pack. After gutting, I prop open the carcass with a stick for cooling. At altitude, the air is just like a refridgerator so rotting is not an issue and there is enough human scent around the critters don't come in for a snack. I have had issues with flies before and a dusting of pepper takes care of that. After I get back to the carcass and finish with the sawzall, I hang the quarters (in game sacks) for additional cooling and start packing. When I finally return home, the quarters go in the locker for about ten days until they get that wonderful green slime coating...

If I thought it would take more that two days to pack out a carcass, I would get horses, which represents another set of problems. I have horses available I am comfortable with, but if any of you fellows are brave and need additional excitement in your camps, http://www.sombrero.com/custompages/hunting.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.