Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

backpacking for game?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

Was cool to see a camp picture as well, so if any other guys have a picture of their spike camps etc... share'em
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

salukipv1 for some reason I cannot send a pm back to you.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Does anyone out there go backpacking for elk or other game?

Mostly interested in hearing from people who just use backpacks, not pack mules/horses etc...

I like the idea of packing into the back country and getting away from the crowds, but seems pretty tough task. Simply carrying enough gear for a week or 10day hunt clothes and food alone I think would add so much weight. Not to mention bow/rifle plus meat once you get lucky, though I could happily deal with packing out horns/meat.

Just been looking at tents, packs, sleeping bags lately, kinda trying to come up with a reason to buy this gear. Just going on a backpacking trip sounds pretty fun though too.

In some areas too it almost seems tough to get away from access roads etc...I'm sure wilderness areas aren't too tough to get away, so maybe is this the only areas backpackers backpack to get away from it all. wilderness areas?

Also what's the typical pack load weight? how big of a pack do you use?
Last year was my first back pack hunt ever, and I loved it, no other way to go. I have been in outfitter camp as a guide, and this beats that hands down. It was a tough hike in but I was rewarded with calling in 4 different bulls in a 30 minute span from the same spot. I could never do that from a day hunt from the road. My pack came in at 60lbs, but I didn't use some of the crap I toted in. I use a jet-boil stove with Mountain House grub, only way to do it imo. I second the crystal light as it provided decent tasting drink and it is light weight. We forgot a water bladder last year and made repeated trips down to the stream, bad mistake. We drink straight from the streams. Also bring a shaker bottle so you can mix your drinks with minumal effort. My partner brought in a jet-boil coffee press so we had java each morning. About 10lbs for each day seems to be what we carried in gear. I used the Dwight Schuh pack which I thought was basically a piece of crap, the strap buckle broke as I was crossing a stream shifting my pack and dumping me off the log into the drink, I was peod, but my buddy found it ridiculously funny. heres a close up of our wilderness kitchen, poles were strapped on with paracord. we brought in 2 tarps with our gear.
Attached Thumbnails backpacking for game?-011.jpg  
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is from our most recent hunting trip to Colorado. Our food and other things are up in the trees a ways down from the tent. It was the October second rifle season and right around 11,500ft. We did not see anyone for the entire season once we got off the main trail.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Those look like fine camps muley and hurricane. I have a question on how you take care of clothing and person when swetting on those warm days hiking long distances. Can you get by with one set of camos, airing them out at night or do you try to wash and let dry during night. Is it ok to get in smoke from fire. I would think it would be better to smell like natural smoke than human odor.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by onebigelk
Those look like fine camps muley and hurricane. I have a question on how you take care of clothing and person when swetting on those warm days hiking long distances. Can you get by with one set of camos, airing them out at night or do you try to wash and let dry during night. Is it ok to get in smoke from fire. I would think it would be better to smell like natural smoke than human odor.
I can't speak for Hurc, but I pack extra cloths. Underwear and fresh socks is a must for me. I use the wind as a cover scent. Three pairs of light weight fleece pants for a 5-6 day hunt. I wear camo shorts and tee shirt in and they double as camp shorts thru the hunt. Boots I wear in, I have a coat lashed to my pack. This year we are going in scouting and bringing some gear and hiding it for season. I also pack in 2 pair of thermal long underwear for cold camp nights. I have a compact lightweight raincoat I stick in my shaker bottle for the pack in. We researched a lot before we made this pack and bought the right gear, and really had success because of taking advantage of others knowledge. Researching this kind of hunt and reading gear reviews is essential in my view.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 PM

You'll need to try to target about 60 lbs max. I like to stay below 50 for a 5 day stay. I use iodine tablets to purify the water with nutrilizer tablets to take away the bad taste because there isn't so much to carry. Be sure to get a good bivy that will withstand hard wind and snow load. A cheapy can spoil your hunt if the weather turns bad. I take MRE's and lots of snickers, paydays and or power bars. Also the different trail mixes are pretty good for a change.
My great wife makes me a bunch of 1/2 pound packets of beef jerky too.
Most importantly water is crucial. Keep lots of pure water prepared ahead of time and stay hidrated. Way up high you can sweat more than you realize and get dehidrated before you know it so drink lots of water even if you aren't thirsty.
It seems like I don't get very hungry or thirsty up there but I make myself drink and eat regularly regardless. I think just being tired from all the hiking makes me too tired to feel hungry.

Happy hunting!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM

You'll need to try to target about 60 lbs max. I like to stay below 50 for a 5 day stay. I use iodine tablets to purify the water with nutrilizer tablets to take away the bad taste because there isn't so much to carry. Be sure to get a good bivy that will withstand hard wind and snow load. A cheapy can spoil your hunt if the weather turns bad. I take MRE's and lots of snickers, paydays and or power bars. Also the different trail mixes are pretty good for a change.
My great wife makes me a bunch of 1/2 pound packets of beef jerky too.
Most importantly water is crucial. Keep lots of pure water prepared ahead of time and stay hidrated. Way up high you can sweat more than you realize and get dehidrated before you know it so drink lots of water even if you aren't thirsty.
It seems like I don't get very hungry or thirsty up there but I make myself drink and eat regularly regardless. I think just being tired from all the hiking makes me too tired to feel hungry.

Happy hunting!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Extra clothes

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Your camp pictures are great! I used a bivy once and never will again. I would not focus too much on weight, I could easily drop 25 pounds (from my 90ish) just by going to a lighter tent and pack, but won't. Also, when going solo, you have to carry gear that otherwise could be split amongst the entire crew, eg tarps, tent/fly first aid etc which would lower weight even more. I bring one set of clothes with extra socks and long underwear. Using the MREs with heater sleeves avoids noise, is convenient and quick. Building fires is nostalgic, but a waste of time. I strap an empty 1 gallon plastic milk jug to my pack going in and once camp is set keep it filled with purified water. I used to add gatorade or crystal light to the gallon water jug, but discovered the hard way that when you add either of those, the MRE heaters don't work! Add the gatorade only to the bottle you carry! Bring a pair of mocassins or other shoes for around camp. I also bring the moist "handi wipes" for bathing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.