Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

backpacking for game?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only take one set of camo, but during the late fall and winter months I dress in layers so technically I carry more than one set of clothes. I always take extra socks and underwear though.
I dont bother with a fire since it just spreads scent around, and requires a bit more work to get going and to maintain....although I have built a fire or two on occassion to dry out clothes. To be honest I don't think the fire or smoke smell alarms the wildlife too much. I think they are spooked quite a bit more by human odor, but that is just an opinion.
For water I just fill up a water bladder for the walk in, and stop periodically to purify the stream water and refill. Iodine, sweet water, and the purifying water pumps all work just fine. If it is strictly for drinking water I will add some Gatorade mix, Emergen-C, or even Kool-Aid mix just for some flavor. Once I get into camp I have a water jug that I fill for cooking. Cooking involves boiling water on a backpacking stove and adding whatever dehydrated or pre made foods we decided to bring.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

how big of a pack are you guys using? I see sizes like 6500ci....8500ci...

is there like a standard size say for 10days of backpacking/hunting?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using a 4200ci pack lately. I have found that if I get the bigger packs I end up filling them up with stuff that I don't really need. So I try to keep my packs on the smaller side now.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Worth a look

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...770&hasJS=true

Good luck........................have fun a be safe !!!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pack

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
Some packs weigh quite a bit with nothing in them!
Very good point!
I have seen some pretty nice looking packs that are stinking heavy...I have seen some that weigh up to 13lbs! Insanity if you ask me.
My current pack says on the manufacturers website that it weighs 6lbs, but in actuality it weighs 5lbs 3oz. Either way you look at it thats a pretty substantial weight savings.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have been using this pack and have been very happy with it: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...770&hasJS=true

It is a bit larger than I thought (5,300 ci) as well as heavier (11.25 lbs per manufacturer). With the exception of "emergency gear", everything I take is used on a daily basis. I like the larger pack because everything except the gallon milk container fits inside which is VERY convenient when having to deal with weather as well as branches that on every step try to grab your pack. The integral rifle holder is nice on trails, but more hassle when bushwacking and I usually "hand carry" the rifle in that situation. If you use a pack with an intergral rifle holder, you should also use one those "rifle socks" for protection (ask me how I know.)

Good luck to everyone hunting this year!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I use the same pack and find it more than adequate to deal with any gear needed for the hunt. The pack easily removes from the frame and has straps to use without the frame. I have used the frame to help pack out 7 elk in the past 3 years. The built in straps and that shelf offer great support and security for a bag of meat or a whole quarter. The orange outer shell that can be pulled over the load is a nice safety feature.
Don't draw the short straw to pack out the head and rack. It was hell getting that through the dark timber and the weight was top heavy for all 5 miles we had to pack out from 11,500 feet.
Attached Thumbnails backpacking for game?-colorado-2008-105-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-02-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

That is a great picture Champlain. I was going to say the setup works well when packing out game, I gut the animal and pack out "camp" to the pickup using just the soft pack. Waiting for me at the pickup is an 18v Dewalt Sawzall, which makes quartering work a snap (best thing I ever did, start using that sawzall.) Then start packing out quarters using the just frame.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
This is from our most recent hunting trip to Colorado. Our food and other things are up in the trees a ways down from the tent. It was the October second rifle season and right around 11,500ft. We did not see anyone for the entire season once we got off the main trail.
Hello there Hurricane. I have never seen trees that large at 11,500 feet in Colorado. What unit is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.