HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Beef cow decoy ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/298278-beef-cow-decoy.html)

Champlain Islander 07-26-2009 03:30 AM

No I haven't and imagine from your description that they are pretty compact. I think there is probably a place for them similar to turkey decoys. If hunting around a water hole from a tree stand or blind they could help especially considering you have adequate time for set up. When you have a bugling bull coming in I wonder if there would be time to set up. I have hunted with turkey decoys in my vest for many years and the 2 birds I got this year were both over decoys which is a rare occurance for me. I usualy don't have the time to set them up but spend the few minutes getting to a good position to final call the birds. Like everything decoys are another tool I guess.

RuRu12 07-26-2009 04:07 AM

You should check them out. They make one for elk hunting that is basically the head and neck of a cow elk on a stick. It is good for archery hunting if you have someone else behind you doing the calling, and they poke it out from behind some brush or a tree. I wouldn't dare use it in rifle season though.

BTW - I like your signature line. You in the Green Mountains of Central Wyoming?

Champlain Islander 07-26-2009 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by RuRu12 (Post 3392895)
You should check them out. They make one for elk hunting that is basically the head and neck of a cow elk on a stick. It is good for archery hunting if you have someone else behind you doing the calling, and they poke it out from behind some brush or a tree. I wouldn't dare use it in rifle season though.

BTW - I like your signature line. You in the Green Mountains of Central Wyoming?

I might check the decoys out. Green mountains of Vermont. We are the Green Mountain State. I live on an island in northern Lake Champlain (Champlain Islander) which is a very large fresh water lake between Canada, Vermont and New York. I change avatars often but like the elk since it is my favorite animal to hunt and I try to go every year.

RuRu12 07-26-2009 05:59 AM

I knew that about Vermont, but I wasn't thinking about the east. Between talking about Pronghorn and Elk I guess I was in a western state of mind. I've driven throught the Green Mountains in west central Wyoming a couple of times and always wondered where they got the name from since there is virtually nothing green there. Vermont on the other hand is lush and green. The only part of Vermont I am familiar with is a stretch of highway we rode through on a return trip from Maine. Some of my buddies belong to the Blue Knight Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club and their HQ and Museum is in Maine. A couple of years ago we rode our Harleys up the coast to get there and then came back thru Vermont and New Hampshire so we could stop off in Laconia.

Champlain Islander 07-26-2009 08:53 AM

That is a nice ride. I always loved taking my harley to Maine. One summer I did a solo trip to Nova Scotia all the way to the Cape Bretton area. Laconia is a great place during bike week. I don't ride anymore but still miss that yearly beer fest.