Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How to scope a .338

Old 04-30-2003, 03:58 PM

Default How to scope a .338

As I stated in another post, I picked up a .338 Tikka this past weekend. It' s used and has a 3-9x30 Weaver scope on it. This is a good scope, clear and crisp cross hairs, What do you guys and gals think of the 3-9 or the 30 for that matter? I like a little larger objective for the brightness. I' ve got a 3-9 on my .270 and a 6-24 on my .22-250. Obviously different applications but.......Anyway, I' m thinking about a 4-12, or maybe a 5-15, and thoughts or comments are appriciated?

P.S. Any one want to share recipes for the .338?
Old 04-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How to scope a .338

A 3 - 9 X will be all you will need. With saying that there are a couple af manufacturers that offer 3 - 12 X scopes. I really like the idea of having en extra 3 powers for the far off shot and still having a 3 power for that close in shot. The 4 -12 X is far more common though. Bushnell offers an elite 3200 in 4 - 16 X.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:22 PM

I have a tasco 4-12 that I bought after they went out of business. It' s on my .223 now and that is what I' m thinking I want to put on the new .338. I like the Weaver thats on it now, but I like the idea of having the extra three powers as well! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should take a look at Sightron scopes. I do not have one my self but I have heard very good things about them. I have looked through them in stores and they have nice clear optics. They also have a lifetime over the counter replacement warranty. They do have a 3-12 X 42.

http://www.sightron.com/
Old 04-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

If you can swing it, a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm is a perfect match for your .338 Win Mag. In the elk woods, the wider field of view that 2.5x affords will be appreciated. Also, if you can' t see an animal as big as an elk well enough with 8x magnification, it' s too far away to even consider shooting at.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Pentax Lightseeker II 4-16x44 on my 340 Wby. Mag., and I am very happy with it.

My cousin has a 338 Win. Mag. in a Browning A-Bolt. I loaded him 225 Barnes XFB using RL-22; Min. 73.0 grs. @ 2782 f/s Max. 78.0 grs. @ 2919 f/s. He has killed 5 Oryx using this load all one shot kills. Good shooting!!
Old 05-01-2003, 07:38 AM

First Time,
I second what SeattleSetters said.

Modified recap:
1. Leupold at whichever price range you can afford (durability versus magnum caliber).
2. 2x7, 2.5x10, 3x9 for USABLE power (many elk shots are close [80-100 yards] and quick occuring) -- having a good LOW power setting is more important than having a varmit-like high power setting.
3. Make sure you use a STRONG scope mounting setup and use loctite so they don' t shoot loose.

Unless you are going for the " long range hunting" mode (don' t want to start a firestorm here) you are better off with a rugged mid-range scope than a varmit type. You mentioned earlier this gun is for elk. A big scope with a big objective means an even heavier rifle which is then more likely to be on your shoulder than in your hands when the " magic moment" arrives.

Last fall, my son used a 338 with a 2x7. The year before he shot an bull elk with the scope set on " 6" . So for the new year as the sun rose on opening day he was set again on the lucky " 6" . When the elk herd stampeded through our stands at full tilt he tried to get " on target" at 15 to 20 yards -- had to lower his rifle, switch to 2X -- then back on to an unfortunate straggler. A good, fast acquiring, big picture low power is crucial. Elk seldom give you that pause at 125 yards, turn broadside, and look at you for 4 seconds that white tail are fond of.

These shorter shots are much more common than the 500 yarder that your upcoming guide indicated took the biggest bull last year. If you insist on leaning toward the high side, then no more than 4x12 max with 4 being the key number of the two.

Remember elk are animals of the timber -- you may catch them out in the open alright, but you also have to be able to hunt them on their favorite turf -- the timber. Your low power number is crucial,

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 05-01-2003, 08:13 AM

3-9 is plenty for that application. Remember, the higher power, the less eye relief you will get, which leads to crawling and then you get scope bit, and a bite from any scope on a .338 is going to sting. Instead of looking for higher power, get good light in the scope and something tough. You have significant recoil on that rig, so get something that won' t get it' s guts busted out by that rifle. I recently bought a Burris (MADE IN THE USA!), and, although I bought it for a 45/70 (1.75-5), the thing has great light and is strong as an ox. Check them out on the web, they make very high quality scopes, and they are reasonably priced for the most part. Ted Nugent uses them!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

firsttimer...listen to what Seattlesetters and ElkKampmaster say...they are right on the mark with their scope selections and are offering valuable advice. No need for anything bigger than a 40mm objective and these long heavy huge objective scopes especially on a scope smasher like a 338 anything in the 2x7-2x8 3x9 power range will work. The animal is bigger than a Honda Goldwing.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:05 PM

IMO the thing to consider in scope selection is it' s ability to gather light. The best elk hunting is in the twilight times of dawn and dusk. A good scope can really help to pick up an aniumal in the timber in dim light. Optics are the only part of my hunting gear that I refuse to bargain shop on. Good optics, binoculars and scopes, are essential in the elk woods. My recommendation is buy the best scope you can afford and skimp somewhere else if you have to. I am strictly Leupold any more. They gather light really well and they are tough as nails. I shoot several big magnums and I' ve never had any problems with my scopes. Leupold offers a good price range from about $175 for a Vari-X I up to 650 or so for the VX-III series.

Good luck on your hunt

Quick Reply: How to scope a .338

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.