Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado? >

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

If your closet shot on an elk is 270 yards then you need to work on some things.

Hunt more?
A better place to hunt?
Hunt with someone else?
Work on your skills?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Trully thinks the best is the one you are most accurate with. No matter the caliber. I'm partial to the 270win and the 300win mag. But everyone has a preference.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:22 AM

yes i agree with you but i used to hunt with a 30-06 but i was at the range one day and somebody stole it it was a 3000 dollar gun it made me so damn mad at the time i had my 7mm maggumn so i went to it i didnt want to go and get another custom made gun that would take 6 to 8 mounts to come in and i may aslo add i had a hunt comin up in a week so i got my 7mm mag andjust used it and i have been from now on but i agree with your imput and what i am bout to tell you let me say this frist my uncle dont listen very well but see he went out and bought him a 50 caliber rifle that is way to damn big the miltary uses it for sinping not hunting well we were out on a colarodo hunt and he brought that i got alittle mad but got over it so we went out saw this big 7 by 7 i told him he could get it (i have never seen something so big be mascared before) he shot it in the sholder it made a hole in that elk i could stick my hand through but we got it out so to get back on track i like to use a magum load but i dont flinch at all so yes if you do flinch drop way down for example if you shoot a 7mm mag and you flinch drop down to a 270 something you know you can shoot without flinching but yes i wouldnt recokenmend a magum except to top noch shooters that dont flinch i would reckon mend it to them but for most of you i would reckonmend a 30 06 i like to use a little bigger gun than nesercy that way i know i dont have to try to get a second shot but in most cases you dont
Old 05-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Thats the longest sentence I have every seen in my life!

7MM Mag
Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I love how you dodged the question.

I shoot magnums and non-magnums. I don't just shoot one and hate the other. To each his own. Shoot what you want. Just don't come around throwing out stupid scientific facts that are not facts at all.
I didn't dodge the question. The original comparison was shooting a .270 accurately vs. shooting a .300 RUM. Without muzzle brakes and heavy modifications, there is no way to make a .300 RUM hunting rifle recoil like a .270 Win. That's like saying the Chevy Malibu that is running NASCAR is the same Chevy Malibu that's parked in your neighbor's driveway. It is heavily modified, just like that .300 RUM.

Now with a muzzle brake, the big magnum is noisy (which requires ear protection in the field if you're smart), annoying to fellow shooters at the range, and you really shouldn't shoot it anywhere near other people due to the amount of force and noise generated which can easily injure or damage ears. That noise is also far more apt to cause a flinch...even with the reduced recoil...than the .270 Win.

Facts are facts. Nearly all experts agree that about 15 ft lbs of recoil is all that is managed by most shooters, with about 20 ft lbs being max. The .270 Win just barely slips in below this threshold, while the .300 RUM generates 38.4 ft lbs...nearly twice what is manageable by most shooters. It is simply not possible to shoot it as accurately as you can a .270 Win. Those are the facts.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:06 AM

well i aint the best speller or garmmer usage
Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 AM

which i agree with you but i am just saying that i like to shoot a magumn because i dont want to half to try to find another one elk to shoot at because i missed it wich i rarely do i o wantr to have to try to get another shot wich probly wouldnt happen
Old 05-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: seattlesetters

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I love how you dodged the question.

I shoot magnums and non-magnums. I don't just shoot one and hate the other. To each his own. Shoot what you want. Just don't come around throwing out stupid scientific facts that are not facts at all.
I didn't dodge the question. The original comparison was shooting a .270 accurately vs. shooting a .300 RUM. Without muzzle brakes and heavy modifications, there is no way to make a .300 RUM hunting rifle recoil like a .270 Win. That's like saying the Chevy Malibu that is running NASCAR is the same Chevy Malibu that's parked in your neighbor's driveway. It is heavily modified, just like that .300 RUM.

Now with a muzzle brake, the big magnum is noisy (which requires ear protection in the field if you're smart), annoying to fellow shooters at the range, and you really shouldn't shoot it anywhere near other people due to the amount of force and noise generated which can easily injure or damage ears. That noise is also far more apt to cause a flinch...even with the reduced recoil...than the .270 Win.

Facts are facts. Nearly all experts agree that about 15 ft lbs of recoil is all that is managed by most shooters, with about 20 ft lbs being max. The .270 Win just barely slips in below this threshold, while the .300 RUM generates 38.4 ft lbs...nearly twice what is manageable by most shooters. It is simply not possible to shoot it as accurately as you can a .270 Win. Those are the facts.
Your only argument was recoil, now your saying mine is too loud!LMAO again!!! All guns are loud and you should wear ear protection while shooting all of them. Nobody but me and my buddy at our range, so we are not going to bother anyone.

What about these facts? You dodged these too.
1. Coefficient? about the same.
2. Velocity....mine will be faster.
2. Energy....mine will have more.
3. Bullet drop... mine will be flatter and have less.

It amazes me that you want to talk aboutwhich cartridge would be a bettercrtridge without talking about the things like, velocity, energy, coefficient, and bullet drop. You want to talk about how loud it is!

I'm okay with a better weapon, that's a little louder! LMAO!Like I said, I'm okay with the 30.06 and .270 also. Hunt with whatever you choose. Just don't fool yourself thinking because your gun is not as loud as mine that it will have superior ballistics.

I already know your next argument....Dead is dead! All you magnum haters have the same stupid arguments because you can't argue with the ballistics.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:59 PM

i agree with lucky dog all guns are load dang even a 410 SHOT GUN can hurt your ears
Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

Muzzle brakes are extremely loud...sometimes not even allowed at some ranges. That is the only way to make a .300 RUM shoot like a .270 or .30-'06, like you claim yours does.

Put a muzzle brake on a .270 and it shoots like .223. Even MORE accurate in the hands of most shooters.

If ballistics were everything, why aren't bench rest shooters showing up to competition with .300 RUMs?

Quick Reply: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.