Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Default RE: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

well yes and no i sont know what your gun look likes or eveb what it sounds like so that is what i am saying
Old 05-10-2009, 04:17 PM

I know it is still a relatively long shot but considering the terrain I am hunting in, all wide open high meadows, I have taken 400+ yard shots in the same area with my 300 win mag, so no I don't need to work on anything, a 270 yard shot on a bull elk in the open country is actually an accomplishment for many hunters, most of the elk I have been witness to being taken in this same area have almost all been in the 400+ yard shot range. I have been in a different area where I had a shot opportunity at 85 yards in the brush but as I didn't feel the shot was the most ethical that I should take I did the right thing and allowed it to walk. Now I am not arguing with you on the conv. vrs. mag discussion, they both have their uses and I for one have used both I just no longer feel the need for the magnum rifles.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are taking 400+ yard shots, keep this in mind...

30.06, 180 grains, 400 yards...bullet drop...almost 2 feet.

300 win mag, 180 grain, 400 yards...bullet drop...about a foot and a half.

300 RUM, 180 grain, 400 yards...bullet drop...about a foot.

When you are measuring bullet drop in feet instead of inches, you better be practicing. I will take a shot out to 400 yards with my 300 RUM but longer than that I would probably let them walk. My rifle is capable but I have not practiced that shot enough.(not yet)

I wil only take a shot with my 30.06 out to 300 yards.

Your last post makes me wonder howfar they are flinging arrows where you are hunting?????
Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 AM

I had practiced with my 300 win mag at up to 600 yards, just shooting!; as that in my opinion is not an ethical shot and the only shot I have taken at 400+ was about 435 yard shot on a good heavy 6x6 bull elk. I will not shoot my bow at any distance greater than 50 yards as that in my opinion is all the farther that I am personally capable of making a clean shot, now I hear of people taking shots of 75 and 80 yards, which to me is too far and too many things can happen even at 50 yards so the 100 yard shots in my opinion are non-ethical and should not be taken but to each their own, that is the same for a rifle though. I don't like those long shots and have over the last few years been trying to get in closer to my intended target and make better, sound, shots that are more feasible for me to take with a conventional caliber, and to practice stalking as I am getting more and more into hunting with a stick and string...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ADV. Hunter

I had practiced with my 300 win mag at up to 600 yards, just shooting!; as that in my opinion is not an ethical shot and the only shot I have taken at 400+ was about 435 yard shot on a good heavy 6x6 bull elk. I will not shoot my bow at any distance greater than 50 yards as that in my opinion is all the farther that I am personally capable of making a clean shot, now I hear of people taking shots of 75 and 80 yards, which to me is too far and too many things can happen even at 50 yards so the 100 yard shots in my opinion are non-ethical and should not be taken but to each their own, that is the same for a rifle though. I don't like those long shots and have over the last few years been trying to get in closer to my intended target and make better, sound, shots that are more feasible for me to take with a conventional caliber, and to practice stalking as I am getting more and more into hunting with a stick and string...

Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM

x2
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM

well i was just putting in my 2 cents parts ok
Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

a30-06 will werk just fine,unless ya want a magnum to kill gut skin and wrap it all in one shot!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Delete
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

colorado lucky dog.this is a 14 yr old that is asking the question here in THIS THREAD.im sure you have an arsenal of magnums but just for a minute be real!lets offer the kid some good advise instead of bragging about what YOU shoot.

Quick Reply: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.