Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado? >

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Spike

Default RE: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Used a 270 win with 150gr Part with good luck

270 WSM or 300 WSM should be excellent
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken several elk in Montana with .280 without a problem. Its a good round, flat trajectory and therefore accurate.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Used both 7mm and 338 in Montana. Used 7mm, 300sav., 45/70, and 348, in the timber in Colorado. Bullet selection is very important.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 AM

Nicky,

I live and hunt in Idaho for elk, bear, mule deer, mtn. lion, moose, so on and so on. From my experience you need something you can shoot well, that is WAY more important than the size of the bullet. I hunt mostly with a .270. I have killed elk in the last 3 years with one shot, so have my hunting companions. Who by the way used to shoot the 7mm ultra mag, 300 weatherby mag. Not that is a bad gun to hunt with; they are also very good rifles, but when you weigh in cost to shoot and some peoples ethical shot distances you really dont need anything bigger than a 270 or 30-06 for much anything in North America.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

I live and hunt in Idaho for elk, bear, mule deer, mtn. lion, moose, so on and so on. From my experience you need something you can shoot well, that is WAY more important than the size of the bullet. I hunt mostly with a .270. I have killed elk in the last 3 years with one shot, so have my hunting companions. Who by the way used to shoot the 7mm ultra mag, 300 weatherby mag. Not that is a bad gun to hunt with; they are also very good rifles, but when you weigh in cost to shoot and some peoples ethical shot distances you really dont need anything bigger than a 270 or 30-06 for much anything in North America.
Good post. Another thing to remember is weight. In my opinion, Montana elk hunting requires some hefty leg work up and down some rough country, and I prefer a light weight mountain rifle for that reason.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: emptyquiver2

Used both 7mm and 338 in Montana. Used 7mm, 300sav., 45/70, and 348, in the timber in Colorado. Bullet selection is very important.
Really the 300 savage? I bought one a few years ago and I have not used it yet.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your heading out there for the first time, I would opt for a caliber with more to offer. As you never know what the circumstance may offer you. I've hunted the same couple areas for quite a few years and know where I will be hunting. Your 300 will get the job done, providing you do your part, yet it is not one I would recomend to someone on a first time hunt out there. A 06 or 7mm would be a better choice for you, and your 300 can go along for backup.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM

I have owned many different calibers, I have just not hunted elk with the 300 savage, I know it is what the military based the 308 from and should figure it would do the job I have never heard of anyone using it on anything but whitetail deer and black bear. Now I realize that proper bullet placement you could drop an elk with a 22-250 but not many people do it so I was just wondering seeing as you made mention of the 300 savage. Be assured I will give her a whirl if I do not bag my elk with my bow. Maybe I will tote it along on my bear hunt this May...
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll post my reloads for you if your serious about using her.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM

Sorry but I have yet to get into reloading. I usually purchase factory ammo. As I can not afford all the equipment to reload and have no one to teach me the craft.

Quick Reply: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.