Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
The Age Old Question: Weight vs. Speed >

The Age Old Question: Weight vs. Speed

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Age Old Question: Weight vs. Speed

Old 01-03-2002, 10:03 PM

Default RE: The Age Old Question: Weight vs. Speed

I don't agree that you NEED different bullets for different big game. A .600 will kill a bear as good as a moose, as good as a deer. Of course that is an extreme example, but many people use a .300 mag for all said game and more!!! Case in point is that a overly powerful bullet will do more for a smaller game animal than a weaker bullet will do for a larger one.

From Squirrel to Elephant, the Shotgun is your gun.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-04-2002, 12:14 AM

Hello there Mr. Blain. By any chance are you the fellow from HA that knows alot about those shotguns. Well if you're the same person I found you a young boy that likes those shotguns a whole bunch because he's not shy about saying so. I don't know his real name but I got his initials right here. STG90 is the boys name. I sure would appreciate it if you would look him up and find the time to talk to him. The Misses and I don't think that he has many friends and are hoping that you might take him under your wing. We'd appreciate it if you could keep us posted on the boys progress. Sincerly Yours, Alaska Dave

Hunt smart, hunt safe
Old 01-04-2002, 12:31 AM

When I release my "Hunting Big Game with Buckshot" Hunting video that will make millions, your board will not get the privledge to interview me. Think about that!

From Squirrel to Elephant, the Shotgun is your gun.

Edited by - ArcticBowMan on 01/05/2002 19:55:08
Old 01-04-2002, 12:46 AM

Son I can't figure either you or that STG90 fellow out. Here we try to be friendly and maybe fix you up with a hunting partner and you go and get all upset. If you need them i've got plenty of blood pressure medicine, I sometimes forget to take them. Since your going to be a big time movie starr do you think that the misses and I could get 2 tickets on discount since we sort of know each other. I sure would like to sit down and talk with you as i've never known anyone that was famous, except for one ball Hall who use to live down the road before his Daddy went to jail for fogging up windows without permission. I sure do enjoy these chats as the misses is busy with watching the TV.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

akhunter and BullHunter,

zzzzzzzacktly!!!!!
Old 01-04-2002, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

great stuff...except for that buckshot boys posts!

One other thing that seems to get left out and Akarcher hit it on the head...Momentum! It really doesnt matter how fast it goes if it weighs nothing it will get stopped cold, in this case a bullet!
Old 01-04-2002, 09:04 PM

Some buckshot is small and fast
and some is fat and slow.
A question I must ask
is how does one know? ~~~Suluuq
Old 01-06-2002, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a classic example: You are hunting elk with a 7mm mag. Your choices are 140 gr. or 175 gr. bullet. Ballistics charts will tell you that they both have about the same foot pounds of energy. Which are you going to use? I'm going to use the 175, because the physics of terminal effects favor the bigger bullet if you hit a big shoulder bone.

However, the bullet construction is also very important. Compare a 175 balistic tip to a 175 nosler partition. There is no comparison for elk, the nosler will perform better every time (unless you thread each shot between the ribs and double lung him every time).

Bottom line is size does matter and construction does matter.

Shotguns aren't very effective at 300 yards.

Quick Reply: The Age Old Question: Weight vs. Speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.