Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

bear hunting tips?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear hunting tips?

True it doesn't happen all that much. But on my first bear hunt (ontario, over bait) I was walking back to the road when I was charged by a bear. With only a bow and a headlight I shook all night.. lol
But I went back out, 9 more days and never seen another one and got wet from rain every day. Still had a good time though..

I am hoping to go back this year. Bow again (so yes the 30.06 is plenty) and I may carry some bear mase.. It's supposed to be very effective and will probably give better results than making one mad with a poorly placed shot from a pistol.

FWIW, I've guided brown/grizzly and black bear hunts and have never been charged by a bear, wounded or otherwise.
[/quote]
Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't recall the exact statistics, but the bear pepper spray is much more effective in the event of a charge/attack then a sidearm. The survival rates were something like 90% and 50% respectively. So, I definitely will be taking the pepper spray with me when I am in bear country, though I probably won't worry about it unless it is grizzly country.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

would a 30-06 be enough
Easily! I bow hunt with a recurve only and never have I had Issues with downing a bear. It's all about shot placement.

do i need the same amount of orange as deer?
No orange Is required for bear hunting In Minnesota. I've bear hunted here for 20 years.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

When you stand hunt for bear, do you pretty much have to use bait? It doesn't seem like they would be as predictable or as abundantas whitetail that you could just throw up a stand in a high traffic area.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Stonewall308

When you stand hunt for bear, do you pretty much have to use bait? It doesn't seem like they would be as predictable or as abundantas whitetail that you could just throw up a stand in a high traffic area.
You are 100% correct on everything you said!!

In Northern Minnesota where I hunt If I can see 20 yards In front of me while In the woods I'm lucky. It's nearly Impossible to hunt bear like a whitetail In a big thick woods environment. Even the use of bait Is no easy task by any means, that takes luck and skill as well. If the area I hunted wasn't so thick a guy could try doing some spot and stalk but It still would be extremely tough (Spot and stalk In the mountains Is doable though). I'd say your chances are very very low of ever seeing a bear just setting up on a trail and hoping one comes on by In a big thick woods, It won't work out to well. So to answer your question, yes I use bait.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
You are 100% correct on everything you said!!

In Northern Minnesota where I hunt If I can see 20 yards In front of me while In the woods I'm lucky. It's nearly Impossible to hunt bear like a whitetail In a big thick woods environment. Even the use of bait Is no easy task by any means, that takes luck and skill as well. If the area I hunted wasn't so thick a guy could try doing some spot and stalk but It still would be extremely tough (Spot and stalk In the mountains Is doable though). I'd say your chances are very very low of ever seeing a bear just setting up on a trail and hoping one comes on by In a big thick woods, It won't work out to well. So to answer your question, yes I use bait.
So in my state, VA, where baiting is illegal, if I want to hunt bear I pretty much need to use dogs or forget about it.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do you have for terrain out there? Hunting anywhere where there using dogs makes bear hunting tough for the folks who don't use dogs.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

hahaha i had an odd dream last night about bear
but i took one down with my 06
but i saved another guys life with my 357 haha